TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
terryh

Default 1 inch memory foam topper

Several members have mentioned using a 1 inch memory foam mattress topper on the TM bed. I have been looking for such an animal and so far haven't found one. Can someone point me to a source? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Is memory foam better than, say, egg crate foam? Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison? The term "memory foam" carries a big cachet - and a big price - but at only 1" thickness, I wonder of there is any real worthwhile difference? The ads on TV show that a memory foam mattress must compress several inches in order for it to do its magic.

Flame suit on ... this is likely to be an emotional topic.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
rumbleweed

Wal-Mart has 1.5" memory foam. As you compare pricing and features, be sure to check density. The less dense models provide less benefit. Some of the very inexpensive stuff is not much more than egg crate foam.

Is memory foam like people in that as it gets older it remembers less?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
ThePair
TrailManor Master

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...3/product.html

I have this, King size cut down to 70" wide. Fits beautifully, replaces the stock mattress. Much more comfortable. I can close the rear shell just fine with this.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Is memory foam better than, say, egg crate foam? Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison? The term "memory foam" carries a big cachet - and a big price - but at only 1" thickness, I wonder of there is any real worthwhile difference? The ads on TV show that a memory foam mattress must compress several inches in order for it to do its magic.
There's a substantial difference between egg crate and good quality memory foam.

Here's a good introduction to the subject from a local manufacturer. Though it plugs their products, it does a good job of explaining just what memory foam is, the difference that varying densities make, ILD, IFD, and on and on.

http://www.sleepwarehouse.com/memory...yersguide.aspx

FWIW, we got our topper at Costco.

Keith
Old 08-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
bfezel

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but you may find it of interest. It details how I solved our bed issues.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=5367
Old 08-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
MisterP

Bought ours at Walmart. Have one for the rear bed and a smaller one we can roll up but still use on the front couch, which makes that horrible piece of engineering a bit more habitable.

I thought they were 1 inch, but they might be 1.5. Don't recall.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
camp2canoe

It has been my experience that the egg crate mattress toppers provided at some hospitals is very soft and is primarily intended to provide some relief from pressure points (decubitus ulcers or bedsores). They aren't adequate to use as emergency beds for excess visitors.

The memory foam comes in varying densities and provides superior support. (Road Trek actually makes their own cushions and seating joining two different densities of foam - less dense for comfort and denser below for support.)

I have a bad hip and was very uncomfortable on the TM mattress alone. We added a half inch of closed cell foam under the TM mattress and it will still close although I still needed additional padding. (The closed cell foam does make a great insulator for cold weather camping, however.) Rather than to buy a memory foam topper, we bought two of the "camp model" (thicker) Therm-A-Rest self inflating air mattresses which we insert between the closed cell foam and TM mattress. The bed frame holds them in place and two 24" Therm-A-Rests fill the 48" front berth on our 2619. They were less expensive than some memory foam toppers. Of course the TM won't close with them on but when breaking camp we just open the valves, fold them in half, and use them to protect the television which rides on the floor. This works for us! - camp2canoe
Old 08-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

We bought a 3" Memory Foam topper from Costco ($160).

We put it on the rear bunk mattress (no bedding), The roof would not close (even with the latches adjusted).

We took out the mattress and put 1/2" closed cell foam on the base (for insulation) and a good quality air mattress, then the topper. It's the most comfortable bed that we have ever slept on.

With the air mattress deflated, the top closes easily.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
cochise

Bought one from Walmart. Cost: $ 92.00 and it is 2" thick. Makes a WORLD of difference. Ours is in the Elkmont 24 queen size bed. Slightly longer (about 1") and a tad narrower than the original foam mattrass. But it really works.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote