TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Scott O

Default Sewer Solution

Some time ago our son showed us a gizmo for draining/empting holding tanks and I blew him off, obviously knowing it was a gimmick! After thinking about how to empty or clean the TM tanks at home without going to the expense of major plumbing mods for a dump station, I revisited the Sewer Solution and discovered he actually was right on this one. It consists of a standard connection for the TM drain, a garden hose connection to supply water, and a 1" hose which goes to the drain, and a couple of other pieces. You turn on the municipal water and it blasts a fine jet of water which mashes up all waste particles so they flow easily down the hose to the drain. Works with both black and gray water. Using this there is no need to fill up your gray tank so it flushes your 3" hose when you dump the black tank...just leave the gray water drain open. The force of the water does the trick, even serving the purpose of cleaning everything out when finished. At home, I just ran a 1 1/2" pipe from a sewer cleanout to near my garage, where I can reach it with the Sewer Solution. I do empty at the campgrounds when possible, but this adds another dumping possibility at home and is much easier to use at camp than the 3" hose. It works very much like a macerator, but without the motor or need for an electrical hookup. I got mine at Camping World for about $107 and recommend it highly.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

When you dump solid waste (black water), do open the dump gate completely, or do you ease it open gradually to allow the "Sewer Solution" to grind up the solid waste?

I've noticed that when I dump the Thetford the first part of the flow is a heavy almost solid which in my experience needs to be managed otherwise the dump hose seems to take on a life of it's own.... as in whooaa !! easy does it.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Scott O

I have used it 3 times...each time I just opened the handle full. The stream of water is very powerful and is aimed at the drain hole. It doesn't really grind up waste, just sorta pulverizes it. Even solids are broken up relatively easily. Of course, it only works on human waste and tp! We are going to Utah Saturday for a week...I'll report if any problems pop up. And by the way, my son has been using it on his 5th wheel for several months without problems. And at home he drains to his washing machine drain, which is significantly (4') higher than his waste tanks. Check http://www.sewersolution.com/ for additional details.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
wmtire

Scott, I'm a believer in this product too. I bought and used a sewer solution after conferring with Larsdennert. He gave me some excellent advice on how to swap the inlet sides of the sewer solution.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...7&postcount=13
Old 11-02-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
Scott O

I wasn't aware the inlet could be swapped and don't see how it was done in the picture link you provided. Can you give me any additional info? Leaving for Utah tomorrow and would like to make the swap if I have time. Thank you very much.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #6
ragmopp

This thing sounds interesting....I hate dealing with the slinky...

Bobby or Scott, does using this require bringing a extra garden hose? That is, one for your fresh water going into the TM and then one for the Sewer Solution.
Also, reading the info on it you can wash your tank(s) with it by reversing the water flow. So, how would that work on the Thetford? Would you just leave the valves open both inside the TM and under it and fill? Then reverse the process again??

Mike Anderson
Old 11-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmopp View Post
This thing sounds interesting....I hate dealing with the slinky...

Bobby or Scott, does using this require bringing a extra garden hose? That is, one for your fresh water going into the TM and then one for the Sewer Solution.
Also, reading the info on it you can wash your tank(s) with it by reversing the water flow. So, how would that work on the Thetford? Would you just leave the valves open both inside the TM and under it and fill? Then reverse the process again??

Mike Anderson
Hey Mike, Larsdennert can tell you much more than I can because I have only used mine once in the field, but played with at home a few times.

I carry 2 hoses, but that is really not required. It has a backflow preventer on it, that would keep the waste water from getting into your fresh water hose. My fresh water hose is 50 foot, where my dump one is 10 foot. There is just something kind of nasty about hooking up your fresh water hose to a faucet anywhere near a dump station. I personally prefer to keep my fresh water hose in the trailer and as far away from a dump station as I can.

You can backwash your pipes, by turning the nozzle inside the sewer solution. When dumping, the nozzle is pointed toward the discharge hose. The waste hits the jet stream, and is broken up by the strong jet of water..then all of it is pushed out the discharge hose by water pressure. This alows you to even go uphill, depending on how much water pressure you have.

You rotate the jet nozzle to face back into your trailmanor pipes, with a lever on the outside. It will spray water back up into the trailmanor pipes. It has a shut off valve on the discharge hose, that will allow for backfilling of the pipes, and not just let all the water keep draining out the discharge hose. (the backflow preventer is what at this stage, keeps the waste water from also going into your freshwater hose)

The way I did this, was to spray some water back into the pipes for a short blast, then rotate the jet nozzle back to the discharge hose (opening the valve) ...allowing it to discharge out into the septic system again. I did this several times, until the water was all clear, and no more blue water seemed to be coming out of the pipes.

It took me longer to type this, than it takes to do it.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
Scott O

I agree with Bobby. The water jet stream can be directed either down the drain hose or back up into the TM tanks. It does an excellent job of cleaning the lower pipes but I have not checked out what restrictions there might be for cleaning the tanks. I do carry an extra 1/2" grey hose for dirty applications, which of course includes the Sewer Solution. No way will I connect my drink water hose to anything but drinking water! The Sewer Solution basic kit comes with a 10' drain hose. Additional 10' lengths can be purchased for a little over $22
Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 AM   #9
larsdennert

Not much for me to add here other than I'd never use a slinky by choice. The sewer solution is really a clean way to go and doesn't require a catapillar to keep the flow up. I have one shot of the setup in my gallery. The water inlet is easy to swap o the other side so there's no interference with the pull valve. Just unscrew the brass nozzle, swap the manifold and carefully screw the nozzle back in without crossthreading it.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #10
PeterOC

Default Has anyone used "sewer solution" and dumping black water into your home's toilet

I tried my sewer clean out which is outside my house. It's pretty tightly screwed in. I haven't broken out the "cheater bar" yet, but I was thinking... If I bought a sewer solution, I could bypass the long lines at the dump station and drive home. Then, I could dump at my home into my toilet, which is close by to where I park my trailmanor..

Has anyone tried using the sewer solution and bring the sewer hose inside the house and into the toilet? How would it stay put in the toilet, and would it be "too close for comfort?" Just wondering before I start trying really hard to get my sewer clean out open...
PeterOC is offline   Reply With Quote