TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-26-2003, 08:21 AM   #1

Default Can't  live without internet!

Since you are all reading this I assume you are avid internet surfers like me...  ;D. We are planning a 10 week trip (my first one...) on a Trail Manor. I am very exited and happy to try the "simple life", sill, I don't think I can make it without my internet!! Does anyone know how wireless internet works and if it works in the small secluded towns? ???
Old 03-27-2003, 12:21 AM   #2
Bruce

Default Re: Can't live without internet!

Check out this wireless internet modem. Other users say it works pretty well. The speed is limited but should suffice for email and limited surfing.

http://www.ositech.com/TechnologiesAtWork/RVing.htm

Bruce
Old 03-28-2003, 08:57 AM   #3
Happytrails

A lot of RV parks do provide phone lines at their campsites. (Of course if you're in a small secluded town, it may not help you tho). If you have a laptop, it shouldn't limit you at all. Matter of fact, there are several people in here that have posted while out exploring the USA in their Trailmanor.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.............[/glow]
Old 03-29-2003, 12:49 AM   #4
tipper

If you are looking for public internet access go to

http://www.connectnet.org

You will need zip codes for the places you want to visit.

Old 03-31-2003, 01:32 AM   #5

Thank you for all the great advice! This is the best resource ever!   I looked into the ositech.com site (thank you Bruce) and it looks like it will work out for me, though I will have to switch my phone to a nokia or motorola. Has anyone out there actually tried this device?
Old 03-31-2003, 12:45 PM   #6

Just found another cell phone wireless conection. This one you can get at radioshack and it works with many brands of phones! More info:

http://www.futuredial.com/products/P_SD.htm
Old 04-06-2003, 01:49 PM   #7
Bruce

Sunshine,
Try this page with info about internet while on the road. I found it at an RV info site.

http://click.topica.com/maaaYEtaaXaqkbc1Xnyb/

Bruce
Old 04-07-2003, 12:30 AM   #8

Thanks Bruce, what a great page! I am happy to report I got the futuredial.com device and installed the program on my laptop this sunday, I hooked the cable to my cell phone (samsung A310) and... IT WORKED!! It is trully amazing  ;D  Having DSL at home this seems much slower but I don't mind at all, having access on the road makes it all worthwhile!  Thanks for all the great advice!
Old 04-19-2003, 12:52 PM   #9

I use a Kyocera 6035 Smartphone, which is a cell phone and Palm PDA.  Running Eudora mail on the Palm I download e-mail via Sprint PCS wireless web.  This works fine for text e-mail.  As long as I use my dial-up ISP (Sprint won't support smtp to send e-mail) I can send e-mail as well.

If I really have to surf the web, I can connect the phone to my laptop as a modem.  At 14400, it's even slower than my dial-up connection at home, but works.  Definitely discourages me from spending too much time on the web when I'm supposed to be camping :-)

PS
I haven't tried it, but PCS Vision is supposed to be high speed data access via the Sprint phone.  They also have cards for a laptop.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:34 AM   #10
Windbreaker

I have been using this site for over a year now and I cannot believe the information here! Is this great or what?