TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
2bcs1jrt

Default Lost Rear Running Lights

We are having some wiring issues with rear running lights. We recently lost our running lights just in the back. The front running lights seem to work fine as do the brake lights. We had the TV plug checked and it seems to be fine so now I have an appointment with a local RV place tomorrow but, I would really rather have DH do it.
Can anyone help us with this?

Cheri
Old 07-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
AstroBruce

Check the connectors at the end of the trailer connector in the outside fridge compartment.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
2bcs1jrt

Thanks,
We'll give it a try

Cheri
Old 07-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce View Post
Check the connectors at the end of the trailer connector in the outside fridge compartment.
I pulled off the cover to that compartment and there is a bundle of many wires. I thought I was going to find a fuse or something. How would I identify the wires to the running lights?

Cheri
Old 07-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Cheri -

I'm not sure which running lights you are referring to - the lights on the body of the camper, or the so-called parking lights in the taillight assemblies. Either way, loss of a group of lights often indicates that a ground connection has gone bad. The grounds are always in or near the light socket. If you open up the light assemblies (pull the lens off), you should see a ground connection from one or more of the brass sockets that hold the bulbs. Wiggle those connections, make sure they are tight.

A more definitive check if you are equipped to make it is to turn on the lights, remove the bulb that isn't lighting up, and use a voltmeter to check the voltage from the center contact of the socket to a known good ground. If 12 volts appears at the socket, but the bulb won't light, then the problem is definitely a bad ground.

By any chance, do you have a copy of the wiring diagram that came in the original owner's manual for your TM? If so, that would help a lot.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
2bcs1jrt

The lights that are not working are the tail lights that go on when the head lights are on. The brakes and signals are fine and the running lights on the upper edges of the shells are fine. I will show this response to DH. He does have the ability to test the voltage. I have been going through the folder that came with the trailer but nothing is original. I am the 3rd owner and the original stuff is long gone. There are some wiring diagrams but I don't know how accurate they are. This is going to be a project for Sunday( I hope).

Thanks for this info. I will be back with more questions, Im sure.

Cheri
Old 07-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Cheri posted
Quote:
The lights that are not working are the tail lights that go on when the head lights are on. The brakes and signals are fine and the running lights on the upper edges of the shells are fine.
Cheri -

That's a handy answer. The tail light assemblies are big and easy to get into, and easy to follow the wires around. The diagram for my newer TM shows that the ground wire is probably white, and each taillight assembly is grounded within the individual assembly. Since you have two lights out, maybe a bad ground is not the right answer. I was assuming they both ran through a single ground - still worth checking.

My diagram also shows that the running light wire is green, so that is the one to check. And it shows that all the running lights (both the ones in the taillight assemblies and the ones on the upper edges of the body) are daisy-chained onto one wire which comes back from the front end of the trailer. Assuming that is literally true (and assuming it was true in your TM), then the fact that you have working body lights on the rear of the trailer means that the problem is not behind the refrig. That was a good tip, but I don't think it was right in this case.

Let us know - it is good info for future queries.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
2bcs1jrt

I promise, I will let you know what we come up with. Any other senarios or tips you can think of are welcome. I will add this to my collection of possiblities.

Thank You!!

Cheri
Old 07-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
2bcs1jrt

Well, after a couple of hours yesterday, we have nothing definitive. We now know that the wires to the running lights of the rear shell have power up to where they disappear into the rear shell. Somewhere between where the wires run along inside the wall of the shell is likely where the problem is.
We apparently have no running or taillights to the rear shell. We do have flashers and brake lights.

Does anyone know the best way to access these wires?

We don't want to start taking things apart without a little knowledge, ya know??

Cheri
Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I have one light (Left rear running) not working on our new 3023. I have been in touch with Ed. He says if it isn't the wiring directly behind the light the panels on the inside of the bed area will have to be accessed. I have decided not to do this my self since things can go wrong & mine is under warranty. It sounds like allot more work than a simple fix to me.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote