TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
Jshepardson

Default Roof holding weight

Hi everyone, I just got my first trailmanor over the weekend a 2001 3023. I’ve been scouring the forums looking for advice on replacing the old silicone and center strip, but nowhere have I been able to find how to actually do the job. It seems straight forward, but how does one reach those areas of the roof? Is the roof strong enough to support a person or is there another method everyone uses? I keep seeing posts on how the roof is lightweight aluminum, I’m not trying to destroy it.
Thanks
Jeff
Jshepardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

In my experience the roof can't really hold your weight without losing part of its curve, which will result in puddling and more leaks. So you need some wood four by fours. Place two at the roof edges to transfer all of the weight to the walls. Place two pieces across those, and put half of a plywood sheet across that. Now you can be on the roof of the trailmanor safely.

I used aluminum girders, rather than wood, and eventually made them into a permanent structure which pulls up on the roof to restore its curve. And I had to change two torsion bars to handle the weight of that, which you really don't want to do. So don't damage that roof curve.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
Jshepardson

Thank you, that’s exactly what I needed to know. Had to sweep snow off the roof yesterday, did the best I could from the ground. My last camper I was able to get on the roof but that camper had a solid foam structure which could take something like 500lbs of weight. Glad I didn’t try climbing up on this one.
Jshepardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

We have had no issue getting on the roof when they are lowered. I do put a blanket down and a section of 1/2 plywood over it. About 4' x 4' plywood.

But both of my TM's have had the aluminum frame roof. Not sure what year TM went from the wood to aluminum frame roof. It was around 2003? If I had a wood frame roof that had been stored outside. I would have second thought about having my weight on the roof, and would span some of the weight onto ladder.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote