TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2003, 03:31 AM   #1
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Whoever wanted Info on Towing TM w Jeep Cherokee

I got an email today from someone named Paul who wanted info on my experiences using a Jeep Cherokee to tow a TM. Unfortunately the return address of that email  (Your Name <[email protected]&gt is not a valid email address...most likely because the emailing software is not yet fully configured.

If Paul (or anyone else) would like that info (I have a nice long reply written up), please provide a valid email address in an email to the address in my profile and I'll be happy to send/resend it.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 09:51 AM   #2

Default Re: Whoever wanted Info on Towing TM w Jeep Cherok

Ray,

I would be interested in any info you have about
towing with the Jeep Cherokee. We own a 2001
Sport and a 2003 Liberty and are interested in
purchasing a TM in the near future. All help is
appreciated.

Tom
Old 07-16-2003, 10:28 AM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Since this is unlikely to be a topic of broad interest, kindly either send me an email that I can reply to (my email address is in my profile) or just reply with your addy. I'll send you a fairly thorough write up (around a 1000 words) of my experiences using the Cherokee as a TM tow vehicle. Bottom line is I've found the Jeep works splendidly with at least a 2720-sized TM.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:13 AM   #4
Happytrails

Not to burst anyone's bubble or anything, but in talking with a guy who worked at a transmission shop for years and years, he said both the Cherokee's and Grand Cherokee's weren't very good for towing as it was too taxing on the transmission, causing them to eventially fail. About a year ago I was admiring a really nice white newer Grand Cherokee 5.2L V-8 in his shop that was lifted, had larger tires, looked really beefy and nice, when I inquired to my friend about it, he said "yeah, but the kid that owns it wants to use it to haul a trailer, I keep telling him it's not good for towing, but he's insisting." I asked him why? And that was the answer he gave me. I would suggest calling a few local transmission shops and asking them what they think as they're the one's who you will be dealing with if that one guy was right. It certainly wouldn't hurt at any rate, and might actually save you a lot of grief in the future............

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Old 07-16-2003, 11:14 AM   #5
Happytrails

LOL, just looked back and noticed you have a manual transmission, that's ok then, but might help other people in the future including that other individual if he should have an automatic................

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]
Old 07-16-2003, 03:11 PM   #6
grkman1

I have a newer Grand Cherokee with 4.7 Liter engine and have had no problems whats so ever towing my 2619.  Last summer travelling the Rocky mountains, the Jeep overtooke many other vehicles towing.

I think as long as you have the tow package (additional transmission cooler and power steering cooler) you shouldnt have any problems.

My Grand Cherokee is rated up to 6700 lbs towing capacity.  the 2619 is no where even near this weight.  I am under the impression that both the Libery 3.7 Liter and Cherokee 4.0 can tow up to 5000 lbs.

Good luck
George
Old 07-16-2003, 03:40 PM   #7
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

HappyTrails wrote:
Quote:
LOL, just looked back and noticed you have a manual transmission, that's ok then
Yeah, mine has the manual tranny and so far after about 2400 miles of towing (nearly all of it on Colorado's rather steep mountain roads) I haven't had even a hint of problems.

Although Jeep says "automatic only" for towing with the Cherokee (probably because of clutch issues, mostly while starting from a dead stop), the manual tranny works very well. I've got one more gear range (5 vs 4) than the automatic and NO heat load on the cooling system from the invariable slippage in the automatic. I really baby the clutch during starts and all gear changes and haven't noticed a single indication of clutch issues..engagement point hasn't changed, no chatter, etc.

One big factor in my favor is that because of the exceedingly thin air at Colorado's high elevations (I'm almost never towing below 6500 feet, usually between 9000 and 12,000 feet above sea level), the engine is only putting out 35 to 50 percent of its rated power. So the driveline stresses are much less than they would be if the engine was putting out its sea-level power.

In any event, the Cherokee is the largest vehicle I would ever consider as a tow vehicle. Because I mainly use my TM as a base camp for mountain climbing/hiking, I often find that only a small, narrow, high-clearance 4WD vehicle is able to negotiate the Jeep trails that take me to the actual hiking trailheads. A larger pickup or full size SUV is simply too big and has too little ground clearance to go up those Jeep trails to the trailheads.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:35 AM   #8
Cateye
Cateye

Our 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the factory towing package has towed our 2720SL flawlessy here in Colorado. Many of our trips are on 4wd roads and secondary roads with steep pulls. The only recommendation I have is to make sure that the automatic transmission is serviced every 30K miles ($150-$200).
Cateye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 12:44 AM   #9
aulii

Default Re:Whoever wanted Info on Towing TM w Jeep Cherokee

Happytrails

As you suggested I spoke with the owner of a local transmission shop today regarding the suitability of Jeep Cherokees with automatic transmissions as tow vehicles. He told me that the vast majority of problems his shop has seen were the result of towing in overdrive. He stated that the owners manual (I don't have one, bought mine used) is very clear about not towing in OD, that 3rd gear should be used when towing. Another issue is speed. In California the speed limit for a passenger vehicle with trailer is 55mph. He said if one observes the speed limit and stays out of OD while towing the Jeep is a perfectly servicable tow vehicle (assuming it has been fitted with the tow package and the weight ratings aren't exceeded). The other key to prolonging transmission life is proper maintenance, which is true for either an automatic or standard transmission. This is good news for me, since I already have a Cherokee with tow package that I would like to use to tow a 2720.

Paul
Old 07-20-2003, 07:12 PM   #10
Happytrails

Default Re:Whoever wanted Info on Towing TM w Jeep Cherokee

Well, that's good to hear, the person I spoke with did not go into that much detail. But as anyone should know with any tow vehicle, you should NEVER tow in OD.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails..........[/glow]