TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-18-2007, 09:27 PM   #21
Joe

If it were mine I would leave it just like you have it.
BTW; I've meant to ask you if you have had your trailer weighed to see if the axle might be overloaded.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:53 AM   #22
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Toe in and out are also very important and I think a lot of the problem with Dexter axles is more toe than camber.
That is an excellent point that Freedom makes. I thought I would share the following just FYI purposes, whether it be a trailer or vehicle alignment. Usually with incorrect toe, your tire will also develop (in tire terms) what is called feathering, along with abnormal tire wear on the inside or outside of the tread.

It is called feathering, because you can picture the way a birds feather lie. You can feel across the tire with your hand, and see if the tread has developed a pattern that feels like the pic below that I found on the internet. This is caused by the tire not rolling straight, but being dragged a little sideways down the road. That's why you will get feathering across all the treads. You can also tell which way the toe is incorrect, by the way the feathers point.

If your tire has abnormal side wear, and feathering, then it will be a toe problem.

If it has abnormal side wear, but that's all, then it's most likely going to be a camber problem.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:15 AM   #23
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default Thanks Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
That is an excellent point that Freedom makes. I thought I would share the following just FYI purposes, whether it be a trailer or vehicle alignment. Usually with incorrect toe, your tire will also develop (in tire terms) what is called feathering, along with abnormal tire wear on the inside or outside of the tread.

It is called feathering, because you can picture the way a birds feather lie. You can feel across the tire with your hand, and see if the tread has developed a pattern that feels like the pic below that I found on the internet. This is caused by the tire not rolling straight, but being dragged a little sideways down the road. That's why you will get feathering across all the treads. You can also tell which way the toe is incorrect, by the way the feathers point.

If your tire has abnormal side wear, and feathering, then it will be a toe problem.

If it has abnormal side wear, but that's all, then it's most likely going to be a camber problem.

Thanks for the picture Bobby, and yes, I have feathering of the inside edge and the tire is almost worn to the cord on that tire.

Joe, I have NOT had the trailer weighed, but I am pretty certain that I am NOT overloaded.

Larry
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote