TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
thewitzclan

Default Big Bone Lick State Park, Kentucky

Just came back from a trip to Kentucky and stayed at Big Bone Lick State Park. According to ReserveAmerica, it's one of the top 100 Campgrounds in the U.S. Well, we have done most of our camping here in the State of Michigan at the state parks and I guess we are spoiled, because I wouldn't recommend this park. Normally we try and use the park restrooms as much as possible, but in this case I used the Trailmanor's facilities more. Bathrooms weren't kept very clean. We are spoiled by Michigan State Parks in they have individual shower rooms, some with their own toilet, and then they also have the ladies and mens restroom areas. And they are kept very clean. Big Bone Lick had the shower stalls in with the restrooms and they weren't very clean. The park did have a pool for the campers which was nice since it was SO HOT, it was miserable to try hiking, although we did do some of their trails. The park also had mini-golf, but my nine year old son said it was too hot to play. And by evening when it cooled off some, putt-putt was closed. Park also had a small bison herd and a little museum and nature center which were nice. The sites were very small and we were on a hill so it was hard to get the Trailmanor level. Again we are spoiled in Michigan in that the parks we have stayed in (with exception for a couple) have trees and bushes in between the sites so you really don't see your neighbors, so you feel like you are camping in the wilderness somewhat. We don't care for the "parking lot" campgrounds, that's not camping in our opinion.
O.K. it sounds like we had a lousy trip and I'm complaining, it wasn't really, we wanted to check out the Creation Museum and we got to do that. Problem with the museum was it was so crowded you felt you were holding people up if you stopped to read or watch a movie that was showing. Also, you had to wait in line to get in, I felt like I was waiting in line at Cedar Point or Disney World it was that crowded. We also got to bring home some yummy homegrown Kentucky tomatoes.
Anyway we are looking forward to our trip next month to the UP of Michigan to Pictured Rocks and the Porcupine Mountains.
By the way, we love our Trailmanor!
Cathy
Old 08-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
thewitzclan

My husband said someone he works with just came back from Big Bone Lick and they loved the park, so I guess we might be too picky. But to us camping is being out in nature and this just wasn't our ideal of camping.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
Rich_in_Tampa

Cathy, I hope you'll post your review in rvparkreviews.com.

I always amazed at how variable folks' opinions are about RV parks. Part of it is expectations, part is just how you happen to catch the part: grumpy vs. friendly help; crowded with inconsiderate neighbors v. friendly campers. Lots of kids is desirable for some, undesirable for others.

By writing a good review like yours, others can decide for themselves. Thanks for reporting your experience.