TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
brulaz

Not cheap and looks like it hangs over the corners? But yes, I don't like that "sink right through" the mattress either. Do tell us how it works.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Bigbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Not cheap and looks like it hangs over the corners? But yes, I don't like that "sink right through" the mattress either. Do tell us how it works.
After 1 night, I'm sold. Excellent support. 2 minor negatives: the mattress does have a smaller radius half-round at the corners, so the mattress sits over the edge of the corner by a few inches (no bother to us) - otherwise it fits perfectly; and the extra weight of the new mattress is too much for the piston to keep the bed base up when trying to retrieve items in storage underneath. I need to make a propping stick of some sort like Cochise did.

But we are quite pleased with the mattress.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Bigbit

I got new air cylinders to support the bed in the upright position. The old ones were rated for 40 lb. lift and the new ones are 80. They went in easy as pie and the only challenge was keeping the bed down while I put the mattress back on the bed. The new cylinders hold the frame / mattress up perfectly. I got them on eBay for $30 for the pair.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Shandysplace

Default Details please

Make, model, etc. or anything else we need to obtain something similar.

Many thanks.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Bigbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandysplace View Post
Make, model, etc. or anything else we need to obtain something similar.

Many thanks.
I bought these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-GAS...#ht_4307wt_948

2 GAS SPRING PROP ARMS - 36", 80 LBS, Model C16-10944
Old 02-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Shandysplace

Default Gas Spring Prop Arms

You said installation was 'easy as pie'. We received ours w/ no mounting hardware of any kind. Does 'easy as pie' mean you somehow used the existing mounting hardware from the old ones?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Shandysplace

Default Parklane Eurotop

How did you get the mattress for $340? Website President's Club price is $419.99 w/free shipping. Would it be cheaper to drive and pick it up--90 minutes away. Cost of gas could offset saving.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
Bigbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandysplace View Post
You said installation was 'easy as pie'. We received ours w/ no mounting hardware of any kind. Does 'easy as pie' mean you somehow used the existing mounting hardware from the old ones?
Yes. The cylinders use cup-and-ball mounts with the balls mounted on the bed frame. There are spring clips around the cups on the cylinders, which you just stick a screwdriver underneath just enough to release the cups. The cylinders I ordered use the same size cups and just snap onto the existing balls. Installation took just a few minutes with the biggest part of the job being removing and replacing the mattress.

I can't speak for long term usage and whether the bigger springs will cause problems. I have lifted the bed about a dozen times now without issues.

2/25/11: Edited to add that I have found out that some other Elkmonts use a different gas cylinder than mine does. Check your cylinders for a part #, do a web search, and find replacement cylinders with the same compressed and extended lengths, but an appropriately higher force rating.