TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tips and Tricks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

When a folding TM is set up, you can see that the upper half of each wheel is covered by a flat white plastic wheel well cover. The cover is held onto the body of the TM with two screws along the bottom edge, one in the forward corner and one in the aft corner. These screws have a square recess in the top, and a square-drive screwdriver (as opposed to Phillips or straight) is the proper way to unscrew it. (The tip of the screwdriver is male.) See this thread, and especially the pic in Post #6.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8442

The folding TM has a lot of square-drive screws. Many of them can be screwed or unscrewed using a standard #2 Phillips screwdriver - but occasionally you run into one that doesn't respond, and it is easy to strip out the screw head. Now you have a problem. So it is a good idea to have the proper screwdriver in your kit of tools. They are cheap - see item 96615 at Harbor Freight, for example.

I assume (but I don't know) that the Elkmont is also assembled with a lot of square drive screws.

None of this is relevant to the spare tire rack. But you really should figure out how to remove the spare tire on your Elkmont now, while you are comfortable in your driveway. It is a much better way to figure it out now, rather than standing beside a busy highway.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
Scott O

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post

But I'm 57. It sure would help to be younger.

57 is young Wayne!!!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
Bigbit

Thanks, Bill. Now I understand.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #14
camp2canoe

A #2 square bit (male) screwdriver is an essential piece of TM gear. Although there may be other such screws on your TM, the bit or driver is essential for removing the fender skirts. It goes without saying that this is one tool you want to carry in the TV so you don't need to open your TM for an emergency tire change. I carry a multitip screwdriver kit with straight, phillips, torx and square drive bits that store in the handle. - camp2canoe
Old 11-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #15
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp2canoe View Post
A #2 square bit (male) screwdriver is an essential piece of TM gear. Although there may be other such screws on your TM, the bit or driver is essential for removing the fender skirts. It goes without saying that this is one tool you want to carry in the TV so you don't need to open your TM for an emergency tire change. I carry a multitip screwdriver kit with straight, phillips, torx and square drive bits that store in the handle. - camp2canoe
Thanks for this post. It made me get a move on. LOL I got a #2 Square Recess Screwdriver from Ace Hardware. Works great on the Elkmont tire covers and also the hot air exhaust.