TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
Bigbit

Default New digital thermostat

Well, I've decided on my next mod to the trailer.

I have not been happy with the temperature regulation provided by the mechanical thermostat provided with the gas heater. Temperature swings of +/- 5 degrees are typical, and the temperature indication is about 10 degrees low when compared to my digital thermometer. Part of the latter issue may be due to the low position of the thermostat (front of kitchen sink), but it's the swing in temperature that bothers me.

I found several documented mods online where folks replace the mechanical thermostat with a digital one (example: http://www.klenger.net/RV_General/HV...tat/index.html)

I bought the simple Hunter digital thermostat for $24 with shipping online and it is due in this week. I am camping in two weeks' time (Indio Date Festival) and will let you all know how easily it goes and whether we like it.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
brulaz

Agreed.

But what I really can't stand is the noise the furnace fan generates. I'd be willing to spend a lot more money and replace the whole thing for a quieter furnace. But they don't seem to exist.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Agreed.

But what I really can't stand is the noise the furnace fan generates. I'd be willing to spend a lot more money and replace the whole thing for a quieter furnace. But they don't seem to exist.
Has anyone done this or have thoughts about it? http://www.ehow.com/how_2170281_nois...ace-quiet.html

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

It looks like the method they describe is only applicable to furnaces that have duct work, which the TMs do not have.

Have you ever tested the bathroom exhaust fans in the display at Home Depot? The loud ones typically don't move alot of air, but they are the cheapest. The more expensive ones are quiet (less sones) and move more air.

My guess is therein lies to answer to why the furnace is so loud.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
joshbw

The noise is terrible; this may work but I would hate to cause a fire. Tampering with anything in the furnace is risky business. I did install a piece of cut ceiling tile in my A/C to quiet it down and it seemed to work. The A/C doesn’t use a flame so I was ok with it. On a heater I would be concerned, wish there was a simple solution.

As for the digital thermostat I got to try mine out this past weekend at Mojave National Preserve. I put it in awhile back but camped with hook ups since so this is the first I got to try it out. I got a Honeywell model (Home Depot) and it fits nice over where the old one was. The temps got down to the upper 30s (windy!) and it worked perfect. I hated the old Suburban model because it was always too or too cold. Now I set it at 67 and its perfect. It cycled about twice per hour at night which seemed fine. It does have adjustable cycles per hour (similar function to an anticipator like the mechanical style thermostats) but I think I will leave it at the default.

Highly recommended upgrade.

Josh
Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
It looks like the method they describe is only applicable to furnaces that have duct work, which the TMs do not have.

Have you ever tested the bathroom exhaust fans in the display at Home Depot? The loud ones typically don't move alot of air, but they are the cheapest. The more expensive ones are quiet (less sones) and move more air.

My guess is therein lies to answer to why the furnace is so loud.

Dave
Hummmmmmmm, duct work wasn't how I read it. What about this post (The one with the photo)?

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/2.cfm

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Ah, I read too fast. The one picture in the eHow site shows a return air register in the floor, which means that particular RV has duct work. But the site is simply talking about adding sound dampening panels, as described in the RV.net thread you referred to. Adding such panels will reduce the noise coming through the couch/seat in the TM, but it doesn't do anything to reduce the noise coming through the fan grate -- and I think that's where most of the noise is coming from.

Backing the furnace away from the front of the couch/seat and creating a squirrel cage like pictured in the RV.net would be much more effective at reducing noise. But that also is going to reduce air flow and heat, and requires a major modification because the outside vents would also have to be moved.

Obviously, the major source of noise is the blower -- I think there are likely much quieter blowers out there. I don't think I would try to retrofit an existing furnace, but my guess is there are quieter (and more expensive) RV furnaces out there. You can barely hear the most powerful bathroom exhaust fans at home depot, and the cheapest ones sound like a hair dryer.

Have you searched for quiet furnaces at all? This one claims to be "whisper quiet", although I don't think I would buy one unless I saw one in person, or at least a video:

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/Product...DID=84&CID=288

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

I actually started searching for "quiet rv heater" and ended up looking at the post about quieting a heater

That heater looks interesting . . . I know most of the noise comes from the fan but it seems like anything would help. Checking it out is at least on our continuing to-do list.

I don't think I'm going to convince Gene to pull the TM out for awhile since we are going to be in single digits tonight and tomorrow with a 100% chance of snow

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Ah, I read too fast. The one picture in the eHow site shows a return air register in the floor, which means that particular RV has duct work. But the site is simply talking about adding sound dampening panels, as described in the RV.net thread you referred to. Adding such panels will reduce the noise coming through the couch/seat in the TM, but it doesn't do anything to reduce the noise coming through the fan grate -- and I think that's where most of the noise is coming from.

Backing the furnace away from the front of the couch/seat and creating a squirrel cage like pictured in the RV.net would be much more effective at reducing noise. But that also is going to reduce air flow and heat, and requires a major modification because the outside vents would also have to be moved.

Obviously, the major source of noise is the blower -- I think there are likely much quieter blowers out there. I don't think I would try to retrofit an existing furnace, but my guess is there are quieter (and more expensive) RV furnaces out there. You can barely hear the most powerful bathroom exhaust fans at home depot, and the cheapest ones sound like a hair dryer.

Have you searched for quiet furnaces at all? This one claims to be "whisper quiet", although I don't think I would buy one unless I saw one in person, or at least a video:

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/Product...DID=84&CID=288

Dave
I have one of those in my hunting camper and they are no quieter than the one in my TM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbit View Post
......................snip..................

I bought the simple Hunter digital thermostat for $24 with shipping online and it is due in this week. I am camping in two weeks' time (Indio Date Festival) and will let you all know how easily it goes and whether we like it.
I think you will really like it, I replaced the one int he outback with the Hunter from Wal-Mart last month. Works great meant to pick one up for the TM today when I was in town getting other TM mod stuff but forgot about it

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote