TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddugo
... a new one in place of the broken by screwing it in on an angle next to the old one ...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePerens
... fabricate a new bar with holes in places that haven't been damaged ...
I'm a little nervous about this idea of drilling new holes near the old ones, or enlarging the existing hole by inserting the screw at an angle. Remember, the screws are going into 1" square aluminum tube - not steel - and aluminum isn't especially strong. Adding new or larger holes in addition to the old ones might weaken the tube enough to cause it to deform. I may be wrong, but a more conservative approach would be to stick with the existing holes if you can.

I have replaced a length of this aluminum tube, and though it is not impossible, it wasn't much fun. It was a long time ago, but I think I could find the thread if it would help.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #12
eddugo

Good thought Bill. My Idea is for an emergency repair to get home. Whether the aluminum will hold up I guess depends on the thickness of the stock. I have never seen one of the tubes used in that application, so I really don't know. The good news is that they are headed home and sounds like everything is OK for now - just hope they get through the snow storm.
Anderson WD hitch
2016 Ford T-150 Transit Van
Ecoboost
eddugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #13
jenkins913

Default Problem with latch and plate repeated

Hello again.

So we got the broken latch described above repaired at the dealer where we purchased the trailer. The repair held but on our next trip, the same thing happened to the other latch on the same side (door side) of the trailer! . . . . One of the screws broke and the other screws loosened.

At least this time we weren't far from home and the weather was good and my husband replaced the broken screw based on his observations of how the dealer made his repair. Again , water dripped from inside the wall through the screw holes. Our dealer suggested the water may mean the awning needs resealing.

So we set off this past week for a short camping trip. The replaced screw held but the other screws came loose.

For a third time, we came home from a trip resorting to a strap for keeping the roof down. We are frustrated.

My husband thinks the fundamental problem is that there is nothing for the screws to bite into---too much corrision in there. He's thinking of using some kind of epoxy in there and also adding an angle iron in an attempt to have screws holding the plate from two directions.

Thoughts?
jenkins913 is offline   Reply With Quote