TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Default Sofa and tongue lights out.

Ok found the oddball black rotary switch inside the center skylight that controls the reading lights but not the ceiling lights but only because the schematic said "here there be switch". Why ?

Must be the same stream of conciouness that put switches and lights inside an opening roof vent (know it is only 12v but see no waterproofing.)

So just leaves the tongue light but may just be a bad bulb. Manana.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Maybe the switch, ours is bad.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

There are a number of things that are difficult to understand about the TM.
- why the switch in the roof vent at all
- why the block off plate for the 110vac instead of a socket by the converter (& no provision for a bed TV ?)
- in that line, there is a lot of attention paid to 12vdc but little to 110vac. My 1986 Vixen came with a 1kW inverter/charger and provision for dual golf cart batteries plus a 600W Microwave to minimize load when dry camping. This does not seem to be a consideration here though it is wired for telephones.
- no on-off switch or indicator light for the converter (monitor panel option ?)
- tires seem marginal (stock tires are rated at 50 psi so why a second sticker saying 55 ? Part of why such a heavy tongue weight ? Make a 3500lb axle marginally useful. Personally prefer to design for no more than 80% of rating & 50% is better but then have spent a long time involved with things that make large smoking holes in the ground.)

Don't get me rong, the TM is exactly what I wanted, just nothing I have stays stock for long and would love to sit down with the engineers and pick brains for a bit as to why certain trades were made.

My cars are pretty much the way I want them (other than the silly axle ratio in the XF) and each serves a different purpose. Suspect am going to have a lot of fun here.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

why the switch in the roof vent at all?

I know I have that switch, but I have a 2720 with the two bunkends. I though it is a nice feature not to have to get up on the bunkend when you want to turn those lights off.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
rumbleweed

Is it just the tongue light that is out or is the electric jack also dead. If you have a swing hitch, the ground is accomplished through the pivot joint. As you can imagine rubbing metal parts can corrode. This will cause an intermittent ground connection for the jack and tongue light. A temporary solution it to wiggle the tongue. A permanent solution is to connect a #14 jumper wire between the front ( swing) portion of the tongue and the fixed portion of the frame.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Agee and think if must be there, a rocker on/off switch that is obvious like for the patio light would be good.

Just added another project to the queue, an on/off switch panel with indicators & interlock to indicate operation and turn the converter on/off plus have provision for a 1200W continuous inverter (just happen to have one on the shelf) for dry camping without having to unload/run (some sites have noise restrictions) the generator.

Want to be able to turn off the converter when not using and unplugged but keep power to the radio so does not lose its mind. This would allow use of a little 50ma float charger.

ANFSCD: What the ^&%^% are those 12v sockets ? Almost none of my adapters fit. Have some little (150W) 120vac inverter and though to use one to power a bedroom TV.

BTW do have a swing-away but not the electric jack. Is not the bulb, the patio light over the tongue is ded.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The 12-volt sockets in the Winegard panels have always been a problem. Don't know why Winegard makes them so small, but TM can't control that. Most of us just grab a 2-to-1 cigarette lighter adaptor, plug it in and leave it.

My 2006 2720SL does not have a tongue light. Are you sure it is OEM? Photo?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Schematic says "patio light" but the switch by the door has no effect. One on side works fine with switch. Bulb is good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tonguelight.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	9752  
Old 04-22-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Door light switch on mine is a "master" it must be on for either light to work off the switch on each light. That way you can control from inside if wanted or outside individually .

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
turn the converter on/off plus have provision for a 1200W continuous inverter (just happen to have one on the shelf) for dry camping without having to unload/run (some sites have noise restrictions) the generator.

Want to be able to turn off the converter when not using and unplugged but keep power to the radio so does not lose its mind. This would allow use of a little 50ma float charger.

ANFSCD: What the ^&%^% are those 12v sockets ? Almost none of my adapters fit. Have some little (150W) 120vac inverter and though to use one to power a bedroom TV.

BTW do have a swing-away but not the electric jack. Is not the bulb, the patio light over the tongue is ded.
You will need to replace the battery with something larger than OEM if you plan to use a 1200W inverter for anything but a few small items or a short use of medium item.