TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
pemc4279

Default Entry door alignment

I'm having some trouble with door alignment. I hope I explain correctly...

I've read several posts that claim an additional crank or two on a specific corner will help with alignment but I'm not sure where to crank.

I check level on the tongue (left/right and front/back levels on the tongue) and then re-check at the fridge when I'm up. I'm level so I don't want to go crazy cranking here and there and never get my level back.

When I put the top and bottom of the door together, they fit very tightly at the hinge corner. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to damage something. Once I get the two halves together, there is seldom a problem fitting into the jamb. Once in a while, the knob side at the bottom is just a bit too wide for the jamb but this has never been a real problem.

Anyone know where to twist a bit more to loosen up the joint at the hinge?
pemc4279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemc4279 View Post
I've read several posts that claim an additional crank or two on a specific corner will help with alignment but I'm not sure where to crank.
"Where to crank" depends on what kind of misalignment you are experiencing. There is no universal answer. Your best bet is simply to experiment. Choose one jack, and give it a couple turns. Now check the door situation. If the situation is better, but still not good enough, give it another crank in the same direction. If it is worse, crank it in the other direction. If it is unchanged, put that jack back to its original height and try another.

Quote:
I check level on the tongue (left/right and front/back levels on the tongue) and then re-check at the fridge when I'm up. I'm level so I don't want to go crazy cranking here and there and never get my level back.
There is no need to be overly concerned about level. If you two are comfortable in the trailer, then the trailer and its appliances are comfortable. If someone has told you the old myth that "It is critically important that the refrigerator is level", ignore it. This hasn't been true for 50 years. Read through the refrigerator's Owner's Manual for confirmation.

Quote:
When I put the top and bottom of the door together, they fit very tightly at the hinge corner. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to damage something.
It sounds like the wall of the lower "box" part of the trailer, near the door, may not be parallel to (in the same plane as) the front shell wall near the door. Here's how to tell. Latch the door halves together. Bring the door very close to closed. Look at the outer corner of the two door halves, where they meet, and note the size of the gap between upper and lower. Now slowly swing the door open to 90 degrees, while watching that gap. It should not change as you open the door. If it changes, then the upper and lower walls are not in the same plane. If this is the case, it is fairly easy to adjust. See post #3 here
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=17249

Let us know.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
pemc4279

Update—Thanks, Bill, for your post about leveling the shells. I adjusted the front shell to level and this worked too well. After adjusting back down, it all fits just like it should. Thanks!
pemc4279 is offline   Reply With Quote