TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-02-2003, 12:17 PM   #1
efelker

Default Need a Push Over the Edge

I've been reading the posting on this site for a couple of weeks, and they are extremely educational.  We retire next year and we want a TT to hit the trail -- not full-timing, but darn near.

I've been researching Travel Trailers for the past 8 months.  We've gone to two shows.  I've looked in more brochures and opened the doors of more campers than I care to think about.  I'm in camper overload.

Based on my research I was sold on Sunline (T-2475, 25.5', 3325 lbs) -- even visited the factory.  From my view, an absolutely magnificent unit.  Well appointed, well-made, and quality beyond belief.  Not quite Airstream or Avion, but not far off.

Then we saw TM on HGTV, and now it is the leader in the race to write my check.  But I'm not quite there yet.  I can get into the new Sunline I wanted for between $16000 and $19000 depending on what the dealer will negotiate.  I'm looking at the 2619 or 3023 TM, and I know even with dealer discount I'm looking at between $19000 and $27000 new.

To me the biggest advantages of the TM are its towability (will be able to keep the 2003 4-runner, V-6) and ability to garage it.  The Sunline is going to force me into a larger vehicle.

I'm looking for the experts (TM evangelists) to tell me the TM is worth the $3,000 to $7,000 difference in price.  I'm looking for that gentle push over the edge (shove maybe) to make the final decision.

I'd especially like to hear from those who made the transition from a self-contained TT to the TM.  
Old 06-02-2003, 01:38 PM   #2

Default Re: Need a Push Over the Edge

My wife and I bought our TM 2720 for the exact reasons you quoted.  We did not want to buy another vehicle.  We pull ours with a 199 Ford Explorer V6 and it pulls like a dream.

I noticed that you went from the 2619 to the 3023, you might look at the 2720.

Good Luck,
 Pat
Old 06-02-2003, 02:25 PM   #3
ColoradoCop

My thoughts exactly, why not the 2720SL?  My wife and I bought ours after owning a 26' Wilderness travel trailer.  While towing the big wind catcher, I was white knuckled by the time I got 10 miles down the road. On the day I bought and picked up the TM 2720, we pulled it home during a rain storm and I almost forgot that it was behind the Blazer.

We bought the 2720SL because there is just my wife and myself and do not need a front bed area.  The front living room area was exactly what we wanted and the niceity of the hard side camper was the option to make smaller payments over a longer period of time.

I'm getting ready to begin my big adventure this coming weekend (06/06/03) and pull my TM from Colorado to upstate NY.  Can't wait.

As you can see, we pull with a Chevy Blazer and have had no problems maintaining speed.  This included pulling up some steep hills.  Only problem so far is that I forget it is back there.

Good luck on your decision.

ColoradoCop    
Old 06-02-2003, 05:15 PM   #4
RandP

I pulled up Sunline since I wasn't familier and you are right, they certainly are well made.  I guess it depends on what you are looking for.  Theres about 1000 lbs min difference, the tongue wt. is double and , lets face it, its a trailer, whos going to go uh and ah when you pull into the camp ground and plug it in.  I picked the 2720 sl because its cheaper and easier to tow, no new vehicles needed, goes into the garage and serves the purpose it was intended. a light weight, all purpose unit that you dont need to spend 35k for a F350 that will get you 5mi per gal. Besides, look at all the beers you can get from your neighbors when they come to look inside.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:50 PM   #5
Paul_Heuvelhorst

efelker,
You stated that you'll be spending a significant amount of time in your TT, just short of full-timing.

We bought our 2619 about 1 year before our retirement.  We found it to be a wonderful travel trailer for a weekend trip or a week or two.  Easy to tow behind our 1992 Ford Aerostar 4.0L engine.  However, once we retired, we started "living in it" for 4-3 weeks at a time and found 3 things it didn't provide.  The most important for us was the inadequate shower.  We do volunteer work (some heavy stuff) and needed a shower at the end of each day's work.  If the facility where we were parked didn't have a shower, the TM shower was inadequate for daily use (too small, shower curtain a pain to handle, small holding tank, etc).

We found we needed more 'living space' as the dinette, while comfortable, wasn't adequate for several hours of sitting when the weather outside didn't permit you to be outside.  A larger TM with couch or chair solves this problem.

Finally, we didn't like the idea of one of us having to crawl over the other getting in and out of bed (ours was a double & we used the front bed... back bed was our storage area).  If you get a TM with king-size beds you can solve this problem by sleeping parallel with the trailer rather than crossways.  We decided to get a full-size trailer with a walk-around queen bed and that works best for us.

Since we live in ours 4-5 months of the year, we have found the TT that best serves our present needs.  The TM served its purpose and we not only enjoyed it, but can attest to the quality of the product.  We were interested in the Sunline products, but they didn't sell them on the West Coast when we were looking at TT.

Good luck with your selection.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:23 AM   #6
arknoah

I think Paul's points are well taken.  While we have spent three weeks at a time in our unit with our two young children, we can get cabin fever after awhile, and Ellen has never been enamored with the shower, though it has never bothered me.  When I think about taking extended, near-full timing trips, I would think about a trailer with a slideout room for maximum space.  A 2720slide might do the trick, but I'm thinking more of a conventional TT.  

Maybe the way to find out which to buy (and this will sound silly) is to try to rent different units and camp in them in the rain to see how livable they might be.

Good luck in your search
Old 06-03-2003, 02:52 AM   #7
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

You are doing the best thing you could and that is ask the advice of other users.  

Try renting an RV or trailer and talk to everybody in the park to get their experience.  But only you can decide what conveniences you can't do without and what you can put up with.  

Other considerations:  

If you are going to be on the road and making many stops, it is not as convenient to just pull over and use the bathroom in a Trailmanor.  You have to set it up and tear it down.  The walk in ready RV or travel trailer may be what you need.

Trailmanors do have their inconveniences.  Maybe you need a bigger shower and a bigger refrigerator and more water holding capaicty for long trips.  Maybe you will want a built-in generator and a bigger air conditioner.

The 5th wheel trailers have higher wind resistance but are stable when towing, so I hear.  If you are retired and not in a hurry, slow down and save the gas.

BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:52 AM   #8
efelker

All:

Well , now I feel just as strongly both ways.  Thanks - great advice (I knew it would be).  The "Try Before Buy" is really sound.

The towing ("Forgot it was back there&quot is really a plus.  My wife says I'm the worse driver ever, and my son-in-law said "He barely can drive a car, how's he going to pull a camper?"  (I have tremendous respect in my family).  So TM leads in that area.

Not having to buy a new tow vehicle -- really big plus here for TM, appeals to my Yankee frugality.

Space is precious - we once had a 4000 sq ft house and it seems like everytime my wife got ready to go somewhere she needed every square inch.  So a conventional TT wins there.

Showering -- well we'll just have to get by in either.  Sharing seemed like a sound compromise, but my wife is still voting on that one.

We'll rent and try variations this summer.  Let you all know how the jury returns.  Thanks again for the excellent responses.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:09 AM   #9
efelker

... oops, forgot F.J's "Ooh - Ahh" factor.  Can't ignore that.  Who really looks at you when you pull in an ordinary every day TT -- "Seen one, seen them all",  Now a TM popping open -- there's something to watch.

Many years ago when our kids were small, my wife would take them camping by herself (military duty kept me from going).  We had a Sears Tripod tent, 1968 VW Bug, roof rack loaded to the gills, and three kids.  She'd pull in, unload, erect the tent, set up camp, take care of the kids by herself, and chop wood when needed.  She said half the fun was watching the looks of the able-bodied gentlemen watching this poor, helpless creature of the feminine persuasion break stereotypes.

... she loves the TM.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:01 AM   #10
2619PDX

I'll add my two cents from a middle aged boomers perspective with a young family.

While the TM is our first TT, it's not our first experience with either a camper or a TT.

My wife grew up with a 1955 17 foot Hiawatha, and we have borrowed the in-laws Lance camper and their 28 foot Alfa.

One of our primary considerations was towability. The second was floor plan. The TM won on both counts. My wife likes it because she can both tow it and set it up. It's easy to live in on a daily basis. No slide outs to rob power from the batteries, or malfunction at the wrong time... Simple maintenance and clean up.

We've lived out of it on two week trips, but while a bit cramped, we've never felt stir crazy either. For us and our travel life style, it's perfect as we don't even use a TV when we travel. too many other things to do.

As to the OHH and AHH factor mentioned, Yes, that's cool. We went for a trip over Memorial Day, and I can't tell you the number of people who stopped by to talk with us about our unique trailer.

As to the bathroom, I'm 6'2" and I love the little room. It's functional and practical. For our family of three, we can go 3 days without dumping the toilet in everyday use.

I would think that the major points for you to consider when making your comparison are these:

1) Lifestyle. How much room do you need? What do you like to do when travelling?
2) TM's weigh anywhere from 4000 to 5500 lb's fully loaded. (Bet your other choice weighs in around 7,500 # dry)
3) The TM offers better towing with lower profile. Better gas mileage. (I actually got 13.5 MPG out of my Tahoe this last trip)
4) It doesn't take a BIG truck to haul it!
5) Storage. TM is limited, but you can get around that too.
6) Floor Plan. Having the beds on the ends is a real plus! TM's offer an open easy to use floor plan.

For our family, the TM was the best choice, and our 2619 - which is a 26 foot trailer when open is the perfect size. In our estimation, that additional $3,000 to $7000 dollars is a worthwhile investment!

Hope this helps!

Gregg in Portland