TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-17-2003, 12:59 PM   #1

Default Honda Odyssey as tow vehicle

We are looking at a Honda Odyssey as a tow vehicle for a 2003 3023.  I see that several members use Odysseys.  What are your thoughts?  Would you buy an Odyssey or another type of mini van if you had to do it over again?
Old 01-18-2003, 03:41 AM   #2
caremd99

Default Re: Honda Odyssey as tow vehicle

I would buy the same vehicle.  It gets great HWY gas mileage (25~26MPG) when you are not towing and not so bad (15~16MPG) when you are towing.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:38 AM   #3
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
I would buy the same vehicle.  It gets great HWY gas mileage (25~26MPG) when you are not towing and not so bad (15~16MPG) when you are towing.

Ditto, what  MD99 said about petrol numbers, though mine is a 2001 model!!!

My 2720SL tows very nicely. You will be getting 30 more HP than I have (assuming a 2002 or newer model), and a higher  GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) than my 8160 lbs.  If the sales person doesn't know the vehicle dry weight and/or GCWR, ask to see the owner's manual to find Ody dry weight/GCWR. A little math will tell you what limitations there will be on how much you can haul. I.e., a rough estimate  using Ody dry wt + pax + cargo + trailer wts. can be very enlightening and prevent optimism from overruling  reality.

A 3023 can hit the max trailer tow weight fairly quickly if all the TM optional equipment  is purchased. Most arrive at the dealer well optioned anyway.

A 2730 lb. dry weight 3023 trailer will top out at  3050 - 3150 lbs. by the time all options are figured in. Depending on what the vehicle tow limit is (mine's 3500 lbs... I don't know about the 2003 models). So, if I were towing the 3023 with a dry weight of 3100 lbs, I would be limited to 400 lbs of payload. Doesn't take much to hit that limit.

If the GCWR is high enough, the remaining cargo items can be carried in the vehicle.

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 05:29 AM   #4

Hi,
I tow with a 2000 Oddy. The rear end will really squat so you will need a weight distributing hitch, but you might need that with most vehicles.
You might want to reconsider the Oddy. If I were buying to tow a light weight and I wanted a Honda, I would look at the Pilot. It has a 4500
pound towing capacity vs. the Oddy's 3500. Probably sprung a little stiffer. Also consider the Acura MDX.
Having said all that, I must tell you that I just bought a Dodge Durango. Haven't had a chance to tow with it yet, but am looking forward to it.
Dave
Old 02-01-2003, 01:29 PM   #5
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Dave,

You did not say what year your Durango was, but I have a 1998 5.9V8 with the towing package. I ordered it new, and it does a great job pulling our 2002 3326 King. Just as an ounce of prevention, you might want to make sure you have a transmission cooler to prevent damage. Also, make sure you do not tow with overdrive on. Make sure you push the button to lock out the overdrive. A lot more torque!!. Also, towing in overdrive can really damage the torque converter.

Hope the info helps. I wouldn't want a fellow TM owner have problems down the road.

If you have any questions, just let me know. Would be more than happy to answer any questions.

One other thing, I bought a sway bar for the wieght distribution hitch. Made a world of difference, and gave me piece of mind and safety for the family.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:23 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Also, make sure you do not tow with overdrive on. Make sure you push the button to lock out the overdrive. A lot more torque!!. Also, towing in overdrive can really damage the torque converter.
Bob -
Can you point me to some reference about this don't-tow-in-overdrive thing? It is a Dodge-only thing?

My Explorer V-8 has a 5-speed overdrive transmission, and the towing guide, seen online at http://www.fleet.ford.com/products/r...02_default.asp says:

"Driving with an Automatic Overdrive Transmission:
o With certain car and compact truck automatic overdrive transmissions, towing - especially in hilly areas - may result in excessive shifting between overdrive and the next lower gear.
o If this occurs, it is recommended that the overdrive gear be locked out to eliminate the condition and provide steadier performance (see your vehicle's Owner Guide for information).
o When there is no excessive shifting, use the overdrive gear for optimum fuel economy.
o Overdrive also may be locked out to obtain engine braking on downgrades."

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:48 AM   #7
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Bill,

Regarding the overdrive issue when towing a trailer, it says in my 1998 Dodge Durango owner's manual the following: When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a heavy load in the vehicle, or whenever frequent transmission shifting occurs, press the overdrive button to the "OFF" position. This will IMPROVE performance and reduce the potential for transmission overheating or even failure due to excessive shifting. I follow this to the letter since I do not want any trouble with the transmission.

Also I owned a 1992 Dodge 250 van conversion which also had the overdrive option. When towing I always made sure the overdrive was locked out. The same procedure was in the 1992 owner's manual. I had 65000 mile on it when I traded it in on the Durango. Never had any problems with the transmission. I know some guys who have Chevys and Fords and they also do not drive with the overdrive on. They got their info from mechanic friends. It make sense to lockout the overdrive since the motor has to work so much harder and will eat up the gas. You do not have the torque to keep up the momentum. If you ever drive with strong headon winds, you will have the pedal almost to the floor because you will have no torque!! I also used the 1992 van to pull our old 1993 Trailmanor and also our 1994 3326 King. If you have any questions or thoughts regarding the overdrive, please let me know. ???

Bob Strong

BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:42 PM   #8
Ettelson

I have a Honda Pilot w/tow package and sway bar and tows our 2720 like a dream.  Putting it to the test this summer on a trip to yellowstone!
Old 02-04-2003, 12:19 AM   #9
arknoah

Tish,

I just took a look at this and I am wondering if the Oddy will be powerful enough to pull the 3023.  It may be enough to pull one of the smaller units, like a 2720 or 2619, but considering that you will be putting other things (clothes, food, etc.) in the unit before towing, I would be concerned about total towing capacity.  Further, I don't know if, even if I hit the capacity right on the money, I would feel comfortable not having any "wiggle room."

Just my two cents.  Good luck.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:52 PM   #10
caremd99

I have no problem towing the 2003 3023 with an Odyssey.