TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Mike7840

Default Sofa Replacement?

We have a 2000 - 3124KB TrailManor and find that the sofa is very uncomfortable to sit on (seat part is very narrow) and we haven't even tried the bed part. Has anyone out there ever replaced the sofa in one of these?

I contacted Ed at the factory and he said that the sofas that are installed in the TM's are specially designed.

Any help or information anyone might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Mike7840
Bloomington, MN
Old 01-24-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
hal

I know of someone who wanted a chair that would allow them to recline. They bought one at Lazy Boy that did just what they wanted. They gave us their "uncomfortable" chair. Not knowing how their new one felt, we really enjoy our gift. A story about Lazy Boy, around one Father's Day, we went in to look at them. There were ribbons showing the special sale price that would be good only for that day. We revisited the next day and they were removing the sale price ribbons with regular prices. The difference one dollar.

hs
Old 01-24-2006, 10:32 PM   #3
pbuck1

I agree, I find the seat is not deep enough and the back is too upright. I'm not sure replacing the sofa will help since the depth of the sofa is limited by the table needing to clear the seat when putting the table up and down.
On my 2720SL I found that since the sofa seat slides in order to become a bed, I could slide it out just a couple of inches (not enough that the back falls down behind it) and that makes it a bit more comfortable. Of course, then the table won't go up or down unless you push the seat back in again.

Paul
Old 01-25-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
hal

Regarding my previous message, I checked and found that my friends have a 3224 Ks. The reclining chair they purchased does not require much room between the back of the chair and the wall. As you lean backward in it, the feet end extend instead.

Hal
Old 01-25-2006, 08:38 AM   #5
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Just make sure any new sofa can be broken down enough to get it in the door. Most home furniture assumes you have a 3' front door.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Frank -

Could you set up the TM shells but not pull out the beds (or the front slide, on SL models)? Then take the new furniture piece under the end of the shell, lift it up onto the bed, go inside, and lift the furniture piece off the bed and down onto the floor, to get it ready for installation.

I was always under the impression (and I may be wrong) that the TM's easy chair was specially constructed so that the height of the back (above the floor) would be proper. If it is too tall, then the shell won't close over it. Again, this would be something to watch when contemplating a new sofa. I am surprised that the Lazy Boy that Hal refers to is short enough. I suppose you could roll it over on its back ...

Once again, don't forget to consider weight. The TM chair and sofa are pretty light. A recliner is HEAVY because of that steel frame.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
hal

Frank, you may be correct about the Lazy Boy being too tall for the top shell to close properly. It seems to me that back on the chair they purchased is easily removed. I think the back just plugs into the chair.

Hal
Old 01-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

Default Easy Chairs

I wouldn't mind taking out the couch and having 2 easy chairs, reckon that would work? We have a 3326 for just the 2 of us and our Grandson is the only one who goes camping with us so I leave the table down so his bed is always ready for him, it also offers the extra room for sitting or reading a book, like a day bed, but smaller. The couch isn't very comfortable and doesn't leave much room for sitting, my husband and I take footstools to rest our feet on.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
Harry Womack

Default sofa

The sofa cushion frame is very weak. When you sit on the sofa, it flexes the frame and every one leans to the center. I put a post under the center of the frame down to the floor on the inside of the front of the sofa. The frame rests on this post to keep the sofa level.
To change out the couch would be hard to do because of the heater, water pump, and the water tank. You would also loose the storage space.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #10
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Bill

I thought about the possibility of taking stuff in/out over the beds before I posted my "small TM door" reminder but I don't think you could know if it's possible without trying it. I doubt a full size sofa could go in the smaller TMs that way because of the short bed openings, the length of a full size sofa and the tight angle you'd have to negotiate. It's possible it would work with the bigger TMs of course. We've been to the factory and I think they put most of the inside stuff in before they put the top on.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote