TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-25-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
Camping Carpenters
Site Sponsor

Default Wire Armor - Lift Arm Wiring

For the circuits that run up with the lift arm on the street side (we have a 2005 2720SD), which would include the A/C, interior lighting, and exterior trailer lights, I have inspected the wire armor or protective sleeving and some of it is worn pretty badly. Removing it will also allow me to inspect the wiring running up in the vicinity of the lift arm. I am searching, but I'm guessing someone in this forum has already dealt with this issue. What's out there to replace this armor? Of course, I'd like to replace it without de-terming all the wires in the refrigerator vent bay. If you've found or know of an armor available, please, let us know.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Most likely what you are looking for is called "wire loom", rather than "armor". Used a lot in cars. It is a flexible black plastic tube, pretty tough, with a lengthwise slit cut in a spiral so it is easy to put on over the existing wires in place. Available in many diameters and lengths, at any automotive place, and most hardware stores.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
Camping Carpenters
Site Sponsor

Yeah, I have some of the plastic auto sleeving, but not real good here (Florida), our climate will kill that plastic in a few months. The camera on our TM was only put on by the previous owner about 5 months ago; he used the split plastic sleeving, and it's cracking and broken in spots. Our TM has probably what you are calling "loom" (I call sleeve or armor) - it is cloth or vinyl mesh I think and is pretty tough, but worn in spots that take most of the motion. I like that the auto sleeve is split, but I just don't trust it. Is that what you have on your TM? Does it last? Looking for something else easy to install but tough (I hope).
Old 09-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
commodor47
Site Sponsor

I have worked on the wires running up the street side support arm when replacing the powered radio antenna. You might find some of these photos helpful: https://photos.app.goo.gl/75XhfmqeRnz9uWYu5

The webbing does not have a slit and would need to be replaced by disconnecting those wires where they enter into the lower refrigerator compartment. With the wires disconnected the webbing can be removed from the bundle. It is a snug fit though. I haven't sourced out replacement webbing but a call to the factory should help in either providing a replacement or information to locate a replacement.

Have you given any thought to reinforcing the "wear" areas rather than replacing the entire webbing?

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Carpenters View Post
I have some of the plastic auto sleeving, but not real good here (Florida), our climate will kill that plastic in a few months.
A trick is to put the wires in a split loom that is as small as practical, then put the whole thing in a larger split loom. The outer one protects the inner one from abrasion, which helps it last. And the outer one will protect the inner one from sun damage for a long time, even after it starts to weaken and slough off.

Been there, done that. As Dick suggested, "reinforcing" is a lot easier than "disconnecting/reconnecting" all those wires.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:37 AM   #6
Camping Carpenters
Site Sponsor

Thank you, Dick and Bill. Yeah, I do not intend to de-term a bunch of wiring. I think I found a high heat, split loom braid that will work; want to if it can withstand UV. The photos will be a great aid when I do this - thanks!. It might also be possible to double the loom for added strength and UV protection, so long as it can still flex as needed. Thanks, Bill. We bought this trailer that has not had the greatest care over it's life, so we intend to baby it.