TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Tampajohn

Default We feel like second class campers with our Trailmanor.

We have been on the road for over 3 month and will return to Florida, our home April 1st. We have stayed in a lot of Thousand Trails since leaving as zone members. We have found most RV's here are class A motor-homes or 5ers. We sometimes feel like second class campers in these campgrounds. I sense people kind of look down on use since we do not have a new class A. I will be first to agree that our TM is not as big and comfortable as the Class A, but our choice is not to have payments and enjoy the gas mileage. Several of these owners are full timers. I have talked to several that lost their homes in the decline of property prices. I guess I am not trying to defend our choice of campers, but it is a phenomenon that I really am kind of sensitive. There are a few Class C's that are really dumpy around us. I think they are almost homeless living in campgrounds. We just got back to Wilderness Lakes in Menifee, Ca. coming from Idllywild Thousand Trails which is in the mountains in California. There were very few class A's in the mountains probably since it was really difficult getting there in the mountains (elevation 7200 ft). While at Idllywild some lady came over and said we would love to have a TM, but they we much more expensive than our Coleman. Anyway I guess there is a pecking order everywhere you go. I am fortunate that this is a lifestyle that we have chosen and have a home to return to when ready. We are in California to see the kids and grandkids. We have not found this to be true in State Parks, but more in the resorts. Especially membership resorts like Thousand Trails. LA has very few campgrounds around it and we park about 80 miles east to keep the cost down. We have been in the LA area since Dec. 16 and it would get a bit pricy for that period of time at $60 per night. The Thousand Trails zone membership is only $525 per year and they do run specials.

Anyway we left Florida November 11, went to Michigan to visit kids and then to LA to visit the more kids. Will return to Florida April 1st. We have done pretty well in our TM considering the length of time on the road. I am proud of the wife, but she was motivated wanting to spend time with the grandkids. Friday, I get to watch the dogs while they all go to Knottsberry farms. I think I got the best end of that deal.

BTW, the Isuzu sure had its hands full trying to get up the mountains. I think I am going to move up to a V8 SUV. Looking at a Durango.