TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Default My experience with the Sewer Solution.

I know we have all gone over the toilet issues many times but because of a recent post I have been asked about the Sewer Solution that I use & the difference in the the standard sewer hose dump valve method.

For those that don't know what I am talking about:

A Sewer Solution is basically a water jet powered Macerator of sorts.

Sewer Solution

My first experience with the SS was on our first trip in 2008. I had a camping neighbor that was using this & it looked interesting so I asked him about it. He shared his experiences & I decided to try it out because it was so clean to use & I hate dealing with sewer.

I found one on eBay & purchased it.

I started using it on our second trip & all seemed GREAT although it was slow compared to the standard hose.

Now by this time I was reading everything I could here & was finding many post about the Standard hose clearing better so I thought maybe the SS wasn't so GREAT after all :-(. In the end I decided to be a rebel & keep using it because it was so convenient to use & so clean. So to this point we have only used the SS since the first trip.

Now as I said I always had a slight worry about the possible build up in the Thetford because of the comments about the Standard Sewer Hose being needed to clear the tank. My worries were put to rest once & for all in 2010 when we had to repair the Thetford because of a few issues. This required it to be taken apart & I was expecting lots of nasty build up.

To my surprise there was none at all, wish I had thought to take pics. So I decided at least for my family the SS wasn't causing any issues at all.

Now I am, to say the least an OCD type of person so I follow a strict routine of how I maintain the Thetford.

1. Remember I can't stress enough we never use the Camp Ground Facilities so our Thetford is really used.

2. We usually charge the toilet enough to run the pump but not a full charge. I learned this tip here.

3. We never try to just use a cheap chemical to save money & we tried quite a few before finding the one that worked best for us.

4. We try to wait until the Thetford is full before dumping which for us was every other day. If it started smelling at all though we had no problem with dumping daily if needed.

Now our daily Process for Dumping is:

1. Open the inside valve first.

2. SS is already attached & hooked up at this point.

3. Turn water on for SS with jet pointed down

4. Open out side valve after verifying Grey water is closed first

5. go do other things while it drains.

6. Return a few minutes later & move SS jet to help any left over break up & drain.

7. Close Sewer Valve & drain Grey water

8. Charge Thetford & Chemical.

9. Normal Dump completed.

Final Dump before we pack up is same accept:

1. I fill tank, circulate with pump & dump multiple times until water is clean when evacuated with no visible solids.

2. This is the most time consuming step but makes me feel like it is clean.

Now I only used the Standard Sewer Hose one trip so not much experience here to explain differences. Maybe there is someone here that has more experience with both types.

The way I understand some believe the Standard hose clears the waste better. Im not sure but from my experience with dump tanks in my business it would seem you may still need to run a Fill & rinse to truly evacuate the tank especially since it is flat in the Thetford.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Michoshisho

Thanks for your post, Billy. I will be picking up my first TM in two weeks, and am still a bit tentative about the whole sewer dumping thing. I got a little more optimistic when I found out about Sewer Solution. I may just have to give it a try after all!

Most of the campsites I go to only have electric or electric and water hookups with a dump station on the way out of the campground. Do those of you using SS (or conventional hose for that matter) open the shells at the dump station and connect water to do a couple of 'charge and dumps' before heading home?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Michoshisho Stop by in Ohio when you pick up and we can figure out the dumping !
You will be within 2 miles off I 80 , reading all I can but still wondering about
this subject

Park in my drive before heading home if you want. Water and electric but no dump station !

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michoshisho View Post
Thanks for your post, Billy. I will be picking up my first TM in two weeks, and am still a bit tentative about the whole sewer dumping thing. I got a little more optimistic when I found out about Sewer Solution. I may just have to give it a try after all!

Most of the campsites I go to only have electric or electric and water hookups with a dump station on the way out of the campground. Do those of you using SS (or conventional hose for that matter) open the shells at the dump station and connect water to do a couple of 'charge and dumps' before heading home?
Now with ours we have always had Full Hook Ups so I am speaking from what I believe would work not what I know will work.

I would say you could dump with out TM being popped up by making sure you: 1. Have outside valves in closed positions
2. Open inside valve at Thetford before closing.
3. Hook Up & drive to dump station.
4. Hook up standard sewer hose between TM & Dump Station because IMO this would be easier since the Sewer Solution requires water hook up to function.
5. You may have to pop the M latches if you can't hook up to the dump connection under the TM. Just saying in case this is an issue can't remember how close dump connection is.
6. Open Main Toilet Waste Valve.
7. After it is cleared you should have Grey Water available for rinsing out the hose. just pull the small Grey Water valve.
8. Close valves
9. If unlatched, relatch stow hose & go.

Now all this is mute if you have a portable dump tank to use which would be very convenient IMO.

Hope this helps, Im sure I missed something & someone that actually does this will correct me or have a better system.

As for SS it is GREAT for my family but Im sure it isn't for all & I always wear disposable gloves when dealing with the sewer being OCD & a Clean Freak. I suggest trying to get a good deal thru eBay or Amazon if you aren't sure about the SS being for you. I also highly recommend extra extension hose since it only comes standard with 10'. I definitely plan on using with our new Sealand replacement at this point.

If I can be of anymore help just ask.

2008 3023

Old 07-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

I have seen and read a lot about the SS and like what I see! The reason I haven't acted on it is, I have used the old way for so long and have had no mishaps! Besides that, I have seldom been to a dump station that didn't have a line! I, for one, would be peeved if the guy ahead of me was watching a hose and waiting for it to run clear! The dump, rinse and go is SOP! On a campsite w/sewer the SS is ideal if you are there for awhile since its nearly odor free while in use and very clean!

PS: Billy, can the SS water flow be reversed to do a secondary rinse?

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
clown9644

Yes you can use the SS to back-flush the Thetford, just have to learn how long to let the water run, I have it written down on the hose which I can't get to right now (love magic markers). I will use a stinky slinky if I am at a place that has sewer connection, (but I wear gloves so no messy). I boon dock a lot so I have devised a method where I can park the camper in the garage and use my ss to drain the tanks into a 4 inch sewer line. (commode just inside the door with trap door and clean out in garage). If I left stuff in the camper I open it in the drive, do the drain while I unload and clean things inside, run water through Thetford and flush, remove the SS, drop her down and into the garage as well.

I do from time to time make sure I use a dump station, just cause. I have never had any issues after 2 years of use.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELM-JLM View Post
I have seen and read a lot about the SS and like what I see! The reason I haven't acted on it is, I have used the old way for so long and have had no mishaps! Besides that, I have seldom been to a dump station that didn't have a line! I, for one, would be peeved if the guy ahead of me was watching a hose and waiting for it to run clear! The dump, rinse and go is SOP! On a campsite w/sewer the SS is ideal if you are there for awhile since its nearly odor free while in use and very clean!

PS: Billy, can the SS water flow be reversed to do a secondary rinse?
Dave did a good job with his answer so I will just add to it:

The Sewer Solution has an adjustable jet that you can point
1. Directly towards the hose.
2. Directly towards the Drain Pipe.
3. Or anywhere between the drain pipe & the 3/4" drain hose.

I personally have found if I point it at a slight angle to the 3/4" hose it breaks up solids well & drains good.

After it finishes I always back flush the Drain pipe into the Thetford as much as it can get that is. Which seems to work well as I have said since I had to open ours up for repair in 2010.

P.S. I would never use it at a public Dump Station due to it being slower draining because it uses a 3/4" drain hose. But it would make it allot easier to drain maybe at your house if needed.

One of my favorite things about the SS is it is very clean & even self cleans itself before storage. Oh & it also is very compact although I still carry my Standard Sewer Hose also just in case it is needed.

2008 3023

Old 07-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Default Happy Camper Toilet Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
We never try to just use a cheap chemical to save money & we tried quite a few before finding the one that worked best for us.
Have you heard of Happy Camper? It is the best and worked well with the Thetford Regurgitater! With the Sealand it is a blessing! Check out Happy Camper.com but order from wherever you can find it cheaper! The price is minimal when compared to the small amount used and how long a container will last!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELM-JLM View Post
Have you heard of Happy Camper? It is the best and worked well with the Thetford Regurgitater! With the Sealand it is a blessing! Check out Happy Camper.com but order from wherever you can find it cheaper! The price is minimal when compared to the small amount used and how long a container will last!
I will check that out Thanks for tip! I have actually been wondering if we will need a different chemical for Sealand since I have never had any other toilet accept the Thetford & all chemical we tried were judged by how they woirked with it.

Incidentally We use: Walex Toilet Chemicals

I believe I found it on Amazon & it has good reviews. Also seems to be Organic which is a plus for my wife who is a Green Freak.

How much are you using in the Sealand? The scoop seems to be for 30 gallon tanks I am reading about.

2008 3023

Old 07-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
rumbleweed

After I dump. I drain the water tank and HW heater and use the water to wash my hands etc just in case.