TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
klv5920

I use a pop up canopy along with my awning. I like having the extra cover to use for cooking. And it rides perfectly in the TM in the space that used to be occupied by the wardrobe, which I took out.
And having an awning means you can sit outside when it is raining and you can put your extra stuff under it and keep things dry.
However, you can make your own awning like the older campers used to have. You can buy track from an awning company that a roped edge of the awning slides into. Then poles and anchor roping. The awning could be slid into place in the track before putting the TM up. A little more work, having to fold up and store the awning and poles but it can be done. Probably could get an awning company to make it for you. I am considering putting an awning on the street side over the large window this way.
Something to think about if you don't want to fork over $1300. The bottom line is the convenience. How much is it worth to you for the convenience? Only thing I don't like about the awning is the height you have to put it to in order to clear the door opening.
Other than that, we put our awning out and anchor it on every trip. Glad the previous owner had it installed.

Karen
Old 07-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Ours came with FIAMMA awning, a $1100 option two years ago. I wouldn't get this one it is to weak to take any kind of wind or rain. It has been nearly useless out west this year. I'll be looking into replacing it with something else this winter after I replace the roof AC that is failing.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
PopBeavers

Always close the awning when leaving the TM.

We left ours up on a calm ay and all of a sudden a burst of air hit the awning and tore it.

If there is enough wind to fly a kite, then there is enough wind to tear awning fabric.

After having now awning for 3 years I finally decided to replace it. $600 as I recall for the fabric plus labor.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #14
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

The price is steep but worth it in my opinion. I use it on every camp out and love it. The factory installation is part of that price. I would not look forward to doing the job myself if I had to since doing it the first time will contain a half dozen mistakes.

The awning is costly because it is special. It is the most amount of awning and performance in the lightest package available.

Go for it!
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
LeChateau2012

We just bought a 2012 2619 without the awning, we didnt want to spend the $1300.00 on it. we upgraded the batteries, tires and cabinets, the fresh water tank. We dont miss the awning at all. We have an Ez-up that works just fine. Sometimes we go to campsites and there is no room to sit out in front of the trailer, so we would not have much use for the awning. NO regrets. :-) and congrats on the new trailer!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
PopBeavers

We bought a free standing canopy from Costco. It is either 10x10 or 12x12.

It has 4 sidewalls, but we only use 1 or 2 to block the wind. We frequently set it up over the picnic table for shade or to keep the drizzle off of us.

When we tow the ATVs to the trail head to go riding we take the canopy with us, to provide shad at base.

We use the canopy a lot more than the awning. And the price was around 300.

Having said all that, the TM awning is more convienient to setup and take down.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
grakin

I have the awning, but have used it all of 3 or 4 times. I'm just either not by the camper when I'm outside (at the lake, out hiking, etc), or it's too windy (ah, Wyoming...) to use it safely. If I did it over again, I'd order without it. But other people love sitting under their awnings. I think it's a personal thing.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #18
nengmoua

Smile Ordered

Thank you for all the responses. The dealer brought the price down to 1100 so I figured what the heck? Placed my Order for a new 2013 2619 with the following extras, swing hitch, bike receiver hitch, 40 gal tank (free), tv antena (free),AC, awning.. should be here in 2-3 weeks.. so excited...
Old 07-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #19
TM_Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nengmoua View Post
Thank you for all the responses. The dealer brought the price down to 1100 so I figured what the heck? Placed my Order for a new 2013 2619 with the following extras, swing hitch, bike receiver hitch, 40 gal tank (free), tv antena (free),AC, awning.. should be here in 2-3 weeks.. so excited...
Nice setup. A 40 gal tank - THAT I'd pay the $1300 for!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #20
moaboy

I don't think there is a good or bad decision here, it is a question of pluses and minuses.
I got the awning when I bought my 2720 and I could argue either way.
I like it at the beach due to the harsh sun, but if I am at one resort we go to, I have to put the legs in the side of the trailer and if it gets just a little wind it jerks the trailer and of course at some point it will damage the awning or mount. If I can stake the legs n the ground that works better and it can handle more wind,but if I am on a big concrete pad, no can do.
Having said that it is a chunk of change, although that will help with resale.
I also bought a Commercial 10. X 10 Quik Shade on line from Walmart for $130-140. It is more heavy and heavy duty than I need, but should last forever. Easy to set up and comes with container that has wheels. Point is there are many options out there. This shade covers a picnic table nicely as it has legs that go straight down, vs at an angle which causes you to lose shade coverage.
I have not camped a lot in the rain, then I would want one or the other or
both. So do I think an awning is a must have ? Nah, I'd put it more in the luxury category than a necessity. Lastly, if I were traveling a lot - setting up and down then it may not be worth it. However, if I were going and sitting some place for longer periods, then I would use it more.
Good luck, you'll have fun either way.

Tags
awning