TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
guitartom

Default touch up paint

Does anyone know what the proper touch up paint for dings and scratches is?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
brulaz

I thought I did.

Covered some plastic on the Elkmont's roof with Rust-Oleum "Marine Topside" white paint that I got at Lowe's. Claims that it is UV, abrasion and weather resistant and for use on fibreglass, wood and metal.

The only trouble is that a year later it is grey from mold. Ugh. Luckily, it can't normally be seen.

So if you find something, make sure it is mold resistant. And I'd like to hear about it.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Tom -

I have no experience with this, so take it with the usual. My thoughts are these.

o If you find a touch-up paint that matches the color, it probably won't match the gloss since the Krystal Kote layer is gone. Perhaps if you use a glossy paint it will look OK.
o Be sure to prep the area carefully and then apply the paint quickly, since exposed aluminum oxidizes virtaully instantly. And of course be sure to get a paint that will adhere to aluminum.
o If you want a finish layer that is more or less like Krystal Kote, there is some sketchy info about it in the TM Technical Library.

I am quite sure that someone here had identified the right color, and had some luck with touch-up. Have you spent some time with the Search tool?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ah. I see you are selling your TM, so you just want to get it ready to show, and don't want to put in an extraordinary amount of effort. In that case, I recommend again using the Search tool to find the color, and going from there.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Scottie Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitartom View Post
Does anyone know what the proper touch up paint for dings and scratches is?
I had a 4” long, wide scratch right by the door when we bought our TM. Forget about paint it will never look right. I went to a local decal shop and they had a scrap box that they put scraps in. For a couple of bucks I got a nice large peace of decal and cut my own design. Nobody will never notice it but bad paint will stand out like a sore thumb. This is the best way to go...

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1489.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	7036  
Old 03-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Hi Tom & All,
I have used White Appliance (Epoxy) Paint from Lowe's and it works well on all the trim where the bag seals wear the paint off while traveling! The Krystal Kote has never been a problem as far as knicks or scratches! The front of my 08, 2619 appears to be painted fiberglass and I repainted it when we returned from Alaska! I did spray a few spots on the door where it rubs against the rubber nubs when closed for travel! You can't see the spots unless you are looking for them! Preparation is easy since a clean & dry surface is all that is necessary! Over 20,000 miles in the last year and still looks new!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
Unstable_Tripod

White appliance epoxy paint is what our local TM dealer recommended to me as well. I have to cover those places where the seal pads on the front shell have worn the paint off the bead on the bottom of the rear shell from travel vibration. I recently did a 61 day, 8,100 mile trip and the TM experienced some travel wear and tear.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
Trainkarr
Site Sponsor

Default Touch-up spray

Rustoleum Painters Touch 2X Semi-Gloss White was a good match on my '98 2619. Used it where I repaired some screw holes about a year ago and it still looks good.
Trainkarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELM-JLM View Post
Hi Tom & All,
I have used White Appliance (Epoxy) Paint from Lowe's and it works well on all the trim where the bag seals wear the paint off while traveling! The Krystal Kote has never been a problem as far as knicks or scratches! The front of my 08, 2619 appears to be painted fiberglass and I repainted it when we returned from Alaska! I did spray a few spots on the door where it rubs against the rubber nubs when closed for travel! You can't see the spots unless you are looking for them! Preparation is easy since a clean & dry surface is all that is necessary! Over 20,000 miles in the last year and still looks new!
+2 appliance paint. not a perfect, but good for small chips
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #10
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Kleer Kote doesn't last forever. Eventually, with enough ultraviolet exposure, it de-polymerizes and sloughs off. My 2004, apparently stored outdoors uncovered for much of its life, has shed the Kleer Kote from the roof and the upper front, during washing with the recommended Tide solution. This is a good reason to store your TM covered.

I have so far used Rust-Oleum self-priming white semi-gloss spray paint to touch up those places where the paint has been rubbed off, etc. Spray paint feathers well and you would have to look hard to see that any paint has been applied.

It's dry in Northern California except for a few months out of the year, and mold is not generally a problem here. I can see how people in other areas might have to be more careful about mold-resistant paint.