TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
arjackson

Default Microwave for 2720SD

We feel like veterans after our trip in September, taking our TM through No Cal and Oregon! But one annoyance was the microwave (not installed, just sits on top of the microwave box)--the previous owner included the one that came with it when he bought the trailer from the first owner. It likely dates back to 2002 and has no real features, just a turn dial for the time.

But now that we've experienced the, ahem, wide variety of electrical hookups in campgrounds, I wanted to ask about microwave wattage before I buy a newer one.

Does it matter what the wattage is on the micro? Would it be wise to stay under 1000 watts, for example? Feeling like this is a stupid question, but it's better to ask before we learn something the hard way!

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Gwenzilla

Exclamation

Not an electrical wizard here but if I use the formula W=VA...
or Watts = Volts multiplied by Amps

If your microwave is 1000 watts and plugged into shore voltage (approx 120v) then ...

1000=120 x Amps.... or convert to W/V=A and we get...

Amps = 8.33

If you have not too many items plugged into the same line you should be fine. I believe wall receptacles that are powered by the 120-volt electrical current are rated at 15 amps maximum.

Someone will surely jump in here to correct me if I'm wrong but thats my best (and hopefully last) use of {{{{{{{{math}}}}}}}} this year.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
rumbleweed

The big current users are the AC, water heater ( if electric) and microwave. Remember you only have 30amps to work with.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
arjackson

Thanks for the replies! I think we have the microwave sorted. Now if we can come across a comfortable bed configuration . . . sigh.