TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
roadtrippers

Default Problem with Oven Coming out

Have any of you had a problem with the oven starting to pop out on the bottom? I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to get to screws and figuring out how to fix it.

It's a 2008 3124KB.

Our usual username is Trexhunters.

Hopefully pictures are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3242997.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	4461   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3242998.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	4462  
Old 04-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrippers View Post
Have any of you had a problem with the oven starting to pop out on the bottom? I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to get to screws and figuring out how to fix it.

It's a 2008 3124KB.

Our usual username is Trexhunters.

Hopefully pictures are attached.
It looks like you are missing a brace that runs in front of the bottom of the oven.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Careful. There is intentionally a 1" gap just below the oven to provide ventilation and cooling. If you plug up this opening, you put yourself at risk.

If I recall correctly (and my TM is in storage and I can't confirm), the oven is screwed to the frame at the sides, not at the bottom. Yes, these screws vibrate loose on any trailer, not just a TM. Open the door so you can see the screw heads, and tighten them up. If the threads are stripped out of the hole, then grab a matchstick or a bamboo skewer, slather it with wood glue and jam it into the hole. Tunk it in with a hammer or similar heavy object. Wait until the glue dries (maybe 24 hours), then cut if off flush with the surface using a sharp knife. Now you have a new surface to drive the screws into.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
roadtrippers

Hmmm.

Here's a couple more pictures of the dilemmna.
Picture 1 I think shows the screw that you refer to Bill that needs to be tightened. So far I can't get to it. I think I need to take off the bottom pan to reach them. HarveyRV, There is definitely a bracket for a brace on the bottom of the oven but I'm not sure how it would attach the cabinet face.

Picture 2 shows the bottom pan. and the screw holes to line with the bottom of the oven. This will re-enforce the bottom of the oven...maybe.

Picture 4 shows how the bottom pan attaches to the front of the bracket. Any ideas how to get to this screw. The head is buried.

Picture 3 shows how the back of the pan is attached to the bracket. I think I can get a hex head pan screw into there.

Picture 5 shows one of the two brackets that seem to hold the oven in place. Does anyone know if these are the only attachments to the frame. I'm contemplating taking the whole thing out if I can figure out how to get to the bottom screws of the bracket and can't find another solution.

thanks,
Trexhunters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4123031.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	4463   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4123036.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	4464   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4123035.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	4465   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4123033.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	4466   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4123037.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	4467  

Old 04-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I would go down and open my trailer if I thought i would help but I have a '98 2720 and the stove mounting may be significantly different from your 2008 3124KB and I don't want to mis-lead you.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Like harvey, my TM is inaccessible at the moment, so I'm trying to work from memory about how the oven is held in place. My memory says that the stovetop, with the oven attached to it, basically hangs from the edges of the counter, which is shown in your last photo. On both sides of the stovetop, there are screws going sideways through the sheet metal and into the wood of the countertop, and there are a couple 1X1 pieces of wood mounted in such a way that these screws have something firm to bite into. I don't recall exactly how these 1X1 pieces are mounted, but I know they are there.

Your last photo shows sheet-metal L-brackets screwed into the wall of the camper, behind the stovetop, and I don't recall seeing those. This may be a difference between my 2006 TM and your 2008. I think this would be a good thing.

What I have experienced is that if TM simply hung the stovetop/oven assembly from the countertop, with no other attachment, it could move a little bit, and that is not good. To cure this, TM installed screws down the side of the oven, hidden by the oven door when it is closed. Your first picture shows one of these. These screws stabilize the oven more than they support it. In my experience, these are the screws that tend to work their way out, and need to be tightened now and then.

My memory also says that there are no other screws anywhere that hold the oven in place. None going into the wall behind the oven, and none into the woodwork below the oven.

I know this isn't much help. Wish I could do better.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Roadtrippers,

I seem to remember someone posting a modification where they added some support under the oven box. They too were having problems with the oven coming loose. However I have searched and I can't find the posts.

Bill, do you remember that, or can you find it?

Also, in the past the main thing most people found that caused things to vibrate loose is that their tires were not in balance. Have you had them balanced, or had them checked them lately?

HTH, Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Wire View Post
Roadtrippers,

I seem to remember someone posting a modification where they added some support under the oven box. They too were having problems with the oven coming loose. However I have searched and I can't find the posts.

Bill, do you remember that, or can you find it?

Also, in the past the main thing most people found that caused things to vibrate loose is that their tires were not in balance. Have you had them balanced, or had them checked them lately?

HTH, Keith
I wonder if you aren't thinking of the posts regarding the microwave ovens that fall through the shelf .
Old 04-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Trexhunters,

A closer look at your first post, photo #1 clearly shows the "oven can trim" strip is securely anchored to the face of the cabinet. However, it also shows the "oven can" has slid forward. I've attached a pdf file which shows the "oven can trim" as part number 36. Look closely at the diagram - you will note two screws are used to hold each "oven can trim" strip in place - and the screws are at right angles to the face of the trim strip (the screws that tend to loosen mentioned by Bill in his reply). I suspect the only way to remedy your issue is to remove the oven can trim face screws (the ones that get covered when the oven door is closed), remove the anchors at the back of the cook top and slide the assembly carefully forward just far enough to access the screws that attach trim to the side of the oven can. There may be other attachment points along each side of the cook top (as also mentioned in Bill's post) Do be careful not to crimp the gas line and make sure to kill the power.

These photos may be helpful: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...php?albumid=34

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
TREXHUNTERS
Site Sponsor

An Update:

Thank for your suggestions. I was about to remove the oven to access the side screws but Atwood advised against it. They basically said I shouldn't try to fix it as it needs to be rebuilt. They claim that there should be bracing and a shelf under the oven which there is not.

So I'm basically on hold as Trailmanor and Atwood are discussing the problem. Hopefully, they'll come up with a solution soon.

cheers!

2008 3124KB,1kw Honda gen.
2021 Toyota Tundra DC, 4WD
TREXHUNTERS is offline   Reply With Quote