TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
OffToDaRaces

Default Curtain Solutions

I have just been reading thru various posts concerning curtains and privacy problems. I have a 2008 2720 that I recently purchased. I went to a local auto parts store (Read Walmart), and purchased sufficient window tint to do the windows in the TM. I also purchased several sun shield windshield heat blockers, you know the lightweight folding type. The heat shields were very inexpensive.

I found that one large car sun shield windshield protector will easily fit the large side window in the 2720. The regular size sun shields, when cut to fit, will cover two each of the smaller windows. They are easy to install and remove, and can easily be stored in small spaces.

I live in Florida, and keep my TM in the backyard, sometime open/covered, sometimes not covered. The sun shield panels significantly cut down the interior heat levels. They also help block UV rays, helping to reduce interior fabric fading.

I experimented with the panels and found that they will stay in p[lace without any additional attachments. I also found that when I put just a few velcro spots on the sun shields and on the wall concealed by the curtains, the panels stay in place even during transport.

They also provide very high levels of privacy, and make for a great sleeping environment for those who like to sleep in when the sun is bright. I hope someone finds this to be useful info for them.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
klv5920

Thanks for this idea. After reading your post, I purchased a regular size and it fits perfectly behind the curtains on my big windows. I tucked the top up under the balance and it lays right against the window with just a little fold over needed in the center. Curtains pull right over it and hold it in place. I am sure it will stay just as it is during fold down.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToDaRaces View Post
I have just been reading thru various posts concerning curtains and privacy problems. I have a 2008 2720 that I recently purchased. I went to a local auto parts store (Read Walmart), and purchased sufficient window tint to do the windows in the TM. I also purchased several sun shield windshield heat blockers, you know the lightweight folding type. The heat shields were very inexpensive.

I found that one large car sun shield windshield protector will easily fit the large side window in the 2720. The regular size sun shields, when cut to fit, will cover two each of the smaller windows. They are easy to install and remove, and can easily be stored in small spaces.

I live in Florida, and keep my TM in the backyard, sometime open/covered, sometimes not covered. The sun shield panels significantly cut down the interior heat levels. They also help block UV rays, helping to reduce interior fabric fading.

I experimented with the panels and found that they will stay in p[lace without any additional attachments. I also found that when I put just a few velcro spots on the sun shields and on the wall concealed by the curtains, the panels stay in place even during transport.

They also provide very high levels of privacy, and make for a great sleeping environment for those who like to sleep in when the sun is bright. I hope someone finds this to be useful info for them.
I have been toying with the idea of the window tint. Did you need to remove the screens from the windows to tint them?

I have looked on line and see there are some tints for the exterior glass. I thought I heard one time that is a nono...but no longer sure. lol. Sure sounds easier.

I also get confused about all the different ratings on the tint...and decide to procastinate a little longer.

I would make new curtains or even purchase them...but not to have them immediately fade. Just can't make a decision...tint windows/make new lined curtains/ buy new curtains and hardware.

We bought our TM new but it had been on the lot for about 6 months and the curtain have vertical stripes from fading.

I do not consider dying them...because I do not know the recipe for beige dye.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
OffToDaRaces

Default Curtain Solutions

Hello Country Girl;

Re: window tint grades, The darker the tint, the less light is allowed thru. That would help keep fading at a minimum. Also, the tint reduces visibility into the trailer, but still allows viewing from inside out. Sorta like sunglasses. One thing to remember, at night, if you have lights on inside the trailer, people on the outside can see in. That is one reason for doing the "sunshields" on the windows.

Re: actual tinting process. there are multiple screws around the framework on the inside of the window. Generally removing that framework does not make the window fall out, but be cautious. It is necessary to remove the framework in order to remove the screens.

I did not remove the screens totally, that makes them very hard to reinstall. What I did was, take the spline lose from three sides of the screen, usually leaving it attached at the center post of the window. Then install the tint per manufacturers recommendations. Remember when cutting the tint for the window section that slides, there should be enough tint to go behind the center bar, but not too much. You also have to leave a small Gap, "air gap" around the edges of the tint. If not, the moisture pushed from between the tint film and the glass will "wick" its way back under the tint film, causing a real PITA.

Re: tint on outside of glass. normally tint would not be applied on the outside because of exposure to the elements. Since the "Frosted Glass" on the entry door and in the bathroom is smooth on one side and rough in the other, application to the rough side is nearly impossible. Although it may stick for awhile, the odds are that it will come off easily. With that info in Mind, I put the tint on the outside of my bathroom window and entry door. If the glass on your TM has the smooth side in, there shouldn't be any problem putting it inside. Mine had the frosted glass installed with the rough side to the inside and the smooth side out. I put the tint on the outside. My TM has been sitting in my yard, uncovered, for a few weeks since I did the tinting. It has gotten very hot here, and we have had some hard rains. The tint on the outside of those few windows seems to be holding up fine.

The rest of this saga is pretty simple. the inexpensive "sun shield" panels seem very practicle to me, and they not only provide very good privacy, but also reduce UV light damage inside.

I hope this has helped. It may look and sound complicated, but if you take your time, it can be done with little frustration.

TIPS: don't do outside tinting when it is windy, or with a fan blowing on you on the inside.. A little blown dirt can reek havoc on tint. and itwrinkles in the slghtest air movement.

The tint can be purchased at almost any Auto Parts store and places like Walmart. Don't get the cheapest, nor the most expensive. I used "Limo Black" on my TM. That allows only 5% light transmittal. And......Lastly, try not to do this by yourself. It is difficult to control the tint film when moving it around. Wrinkles in the tint, are like the ones on my face, they can't be removed.

Many states have restrictions on levels of tint on motorvehicles. I don't know of ant state that has restrictions on trailer windows or on windows in RV's behind the drivers seat. Could be tho. Check local laws first.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Well I have a 3 day weekend and the TM is still set up in the yard. So I just might vist Walmart tomorrow. Ugh...Walmart on a Friday...I must be crazy. I will check it out on line first.

Are there instuctions in the packaging on how to leave the small air gap around the edges?

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

Old 06-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
OffToDaRaces

Default Curutain Solutions

Country Girl;

Most packages of tint film will have instructions. You can also get a kit that provides the tools you will need. The air gap is done by moving the tint a 1/32 to 1/16 " away from rubber window seals. Make sure to keep lotsa tint solution on the film during application until you have completed installing the film onto the window. Tint solution is a small squirt of dish detergeny mixed with a quart or more of water. Have fun...
Old 07-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Well I bought the tint and tool kit today. Hopefully can try doing a window tomorrow after work.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
OffToDaRaces

Default Curtain solutions

well good luck to you.

Just go slow, I am sure you can do it. Maybe start on a smaller window so you know what to expect.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Dave and Diana

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
So I just might vist Walmart tomorrow. Ugh...Walmart on a Friday...I must be crazy.

LOL Wallyworld on weekend. Beat me with a stick first.