TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Trekker

Default Toyota 4Runner

We are towing our Elkmont with a 6 cylinder Toyota 4Runner. The Toyota has plenty of pulling power and we are able to drive 70 mph on the interstates. When crossing the Vail pass in the Rockies, we slow down to approximately 45 mph.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
Joseph

Default Elkmont is not a R-pod

HarveyRV is right. I would like to add one other thought to his. I have seen the R-pod on some of my travels. If it is the same as yours, the R-pod is more aero-dynamic than the Elkmont. There is going to be more frontal area, ie sail effect and drag, with the Elkmont. Think about that before you connect up. I know that there are members of this forum that tow lean and mean, but sounds like you are going to be at least borderline with that rig and maybe past it. Borderline is not a good place to be when your safety is what you are really talking about.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
We are towing our Elkmont with a 6 cylinder Toyota 4Runner. The Toyota has plenty of pulling power and we are able to drive 70 mph on the interstates. When crossing the Vail pass in the Rockies, we slow down to approximately 45 mph.
I find it curious how many people will state how fast they can tow their trailer with a particular vehicle, but no one ever states how fast they can stop if they had to.

Towing is not just about getting underway, it is also about being able to control and stop without presenting a hazard to yourself and others.