TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
T and C
TrailManor Master

Default Taming the Thetford "stinker".

Much has been said on this forum about the smell problem from the Thetford recirculating toilet. We have noticed the problem although we do not find it unbearable. Many years of tent camping from the 50's to the 80's made us familiar with the pit toilets in campgrounds. I figure that one trip to a pit toilet must equal about 1 year in total olefactory offensiveness from the Thetford. As usual, the DW smells the thing before I do.

Several months ago I read a post from Bill, I think, that recommended a product called Potty Toddies. As we were going to be staying in our TM for about 10 nights I decided to get some and try them out.

Bill recommended using the blue thetford liquid and then adding 1 PT tablet per day. I tried that and it seemed to work quite well. The two of us only used the Stinker at night so it lasted for about a week before filling up. I had brought along a 6 gallon tote so I was able to dump into that and take it to an RV park in town to empty it. We were parked next to a relative's cabin with only electricity connected.

Last month we attended the Pismo Beach TM rally. We spent 4 nights there. When we arrived I discovered I had let myself run out of the Thetford liquid stuff for the toilet. I did have the Potty Toddies though. So I decided to try using just those things. It says on the label that 1 tablet treats a 50 gallon waste tank. So I threw in 2 when I charged it, and one a day afterwards. We had access to an excellent bathroom at the RV park, so we only used it for liquid wastes. No problema at all.

I figure we will try the PT method for a "full use" campout soon, and report the results afterward.

So far, so good.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote