TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #11
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Does the tubular aluminum framing go up either side of windows?
I wondered about that myself, but decided that I had other "priorities" in regards to the placement of the valances.

1 - I wanted a specific width - not too much wider than the window, but wide enough that the curtains would be wider than the window. This limited the horizontal range of where I could mount the z-brackets.

2 - I wanted a specific height above the window, high enough that the roman blind would not block out too much of the window when opened, but low enough that there was still some 'shelf space' on top of the valance. This significantly limited the vertical range of where I could mount the z-brackets.

I figured that if I tried to find some sort of support, my luck it wouldn't be at the correct distance from the window for my limited mounting area. So rather than get frustrated by that, knowing I wasn't going to put much weight on these, I figured my method was okay. If I was mounting a TV, or something electronic, I would probably be more concerned. That being said, I hope the wooden valance above my head in the bed doesn't kill me in my sleep.....

I am already in the habit of 'lifting' blinds in the house - by assisting when opening them by placing one hand under them to help support the weight as I pull the cord. I will do the same in the TM, so will not be pulling too much on the z-brackets when opening the blinds. I really can't see any other reason why the z-brackets shouldn't hold with just the screws.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #12
Larryjb
TrailManor Master

Holly,

I just wanted to check in here to let you know it was your valance project that inspired me to make my own.

One modification I'm planning to make sometime is to notch the wood where the z-clip mounts onto the valance. This will reduce the torsional forces on the z-clip on the TM wall. For now, most of our valances are hanging straight with little deflection from torsion, but the one that is sagging is the one that has a screw that is a little loose. That was the first one, and I used a drill bit one size smaller for the rest.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #13
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Holly,

I just wanted to check in here to let you know it was your valance project that inspired me to make my own.

One modification I'm planning to make sometime is to notch the wood where the z-clip mounts onto the valance.
Glad I inspired you! And I think yours are fantastic! A much more "refined" look than mine and probably much lighter, and easier to store in a smaller space.

Great idea about notching the valance for the z-clips! I'm having trouble with one, and considering buying a rivet gun to take care of it. But the problem is actually that every time I open the TM, the curb side, rear bed window, the rear z-clip on that window, catches on something, and twice it has bent out at 90 degrees. I removed it, hammered it back to flat, reinstalled. Of course, after the second time it happened, the screws for that bracket won't even hold anymore. But, a rivet gun won't help until I figure out what it is catching on. There is no damage anywhere, no marks, nothing to indicate what is happening. I would have thought that something that forces a 90 bend (yes, they are just aluminum, so bend easily), would at least make a scratch, a mark of some kind.

You should have seen me trying to figure out the mounting of those z-clips. Ha ha - I'm sure I looked like an idiot, holding them every which way, turning my head, looking at them from all angles, all while holding screws into all the mounting holes...... In the end, I was actually surprised how close to flush they mount. My screw heads stick out on both halves, and I couldn't figure out how they would even work that way, before I braved it and mounted the first pair.

Oh, wait, come to think of it, if you notch, won't the screw heads then cause a problem? Hmmmm, more looking like an idiot while I try to envision effect the notch will have....
Old 08-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #14
Larryjb
TrailManor Master

I already thought of the issue of the screw heads interfering if I notch the back of the valance.
..............________
__^____|

In my crude drawing, the carat sign is the screw head. As long as it sits below raised side of the z-clip, we should be fine. I used 3/4" stainless screws that I had bought for redoing the trim pieces on the outside of the trailer.

I think your valances look great, by the way. I thought about using some sculpted trim, or making something like yours. I just didn't have the time. I found the 2 1/4 " trim in the milling section of home depot. There was fancier stuff, but it was much more expensive. (Remember how much disposable money you had when your kids were young? )

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote