TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-11-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
two feathers

Default Where and what type of caulking do I use on my 2009 Elkmont?

Hello,
Just bought a used 2009 24ft TM24 Elkmont. I've had trailer/campers back in the early 1990's and now that I'm retired I wanted a small light weight camper for day trips with my wife and two dogs. We liked the layout of the Elkmont so we bought it. We went to St.Augustine, FL for a 600 mile shake down cruise and things were fine. Just had a very small leak from the bathroom vent fan area during a heavy Florida rain one night. (Every camper I've had always had a minor leak somewhere.) Once home I can see cracks in the original caulking around the vent fan on the roof. No biggy. But what type of caulking do I use on these modern campers and where can I buy it?
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Redhawk

I had the same leak, I loosened the 4 screws that hold the fan assembly (from the inside) together so that I could get a small bead of caulk under the top edges, it worked well. I just used 100% silicone as recommended by the local dealer. You can purchase it at any hardware store of Home Depot type store. I think there may be a better choice from some of the posts I've read on here. Brulaz will likely let us both know what he used, I think he had some roof leaks too.

It took me a couple trips to get all the bugs out of our Elk, but we love our Elkmont. Good luck with yours!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
brulaz

Another Elkmont! You are a member of a very exclusive club. Do consider joining this web site. There's lots of info (even a special section for Elkmonts), and the more people involved make it even more informative.

Actually for this leak, I had Trailmanor replace the whole assembly under warranty. But, it's leaking again, and I have not yet gone onto the roof to look for problems. It's been so dry around here, that it really hasn't been an issue.

But the last time I was up there the fan looked pretty well caulked with the new 3M hybrid caulk Trailmanor is using. You can get something similar in Marine supply places (3M 4200). 3M 5200 is similar but extremely difficult to remove.

Earlier my Elkmont had more serious leakage through the roof seam that crosses the trailer starting above the door. The water travelled all the way up to the front wardrobe on the door side and started dripping in there. Eventually Trailmanor just covered the whole seam with a plastic sheet and 3M sealant. Zero problems since then.

But water leaks can travel, and it can be hard to determine where they start. So I'm wondering whether my fan leak may be from the centre seam on the roof, which still has the old, useless caulk that you can peel away with your finger. Anyway, I've still got to figure it out.