TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #1
Padgett
TrailManor Master

We came to the same conclusion for different reasons. Since 1972 I have always had a tow can (and usually a tandem axel car trailer for a race car). Originally I had a station wagon (true it was a GTO station wagon but still...). Then a Minivan with a 3800 engine. Did everything I needed but wanted "more". Gave the van to my sister and after a LOT or research bought a new (with rebates was less than a large more than a '11 with 10k miles) Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x2 (have never felt any need for a 4x4 even when living in Michigan) with 3.6 Pentastar, a 24 vale DOHC 6 with VVT i&e (not sure what variable lift buys you over VVT) that tows not only the TM but also loaded largest tandem axle U-Hauls (now those kill MPG) and cars (mostly use a dolly now).

One reason it gives about 1-2 MPG better than the other GCs is because it is the lightest one, about 1,000 lbs lighter than a 4x4 Overland. Only had a few options but the major one was the Factory Towing Package rated for 5,000 lbs and almost perfect 50-50 weight distribution. With all independent suspension and both front and rear sway bars it really handles very well.

Strange thing is that I have been driving it more than my other cars (click on .sig). So while there are better drivetrains (the Ford EcoBoost 3.5 comes to mind), I really like the GCs overall package (and am the type of person who creates spreadsheets of gear ratios).

Besides it costs a lot less than a Merc ML350 (same chassis).
Old 04-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dombrows View Post
What are some of the most fuel efficient vehicles that can tow one of the smaller Trailmanors? We are looking to buy used, so older model years are welcomed.

Any suggestions regarding the TV or even any insight on which Trailmanor to look for would be much appreciated!
How about a Toyota Highlander Hybrid? 3500 lb tow rating and a TM2619.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
br2_wdc

Default Reliability vs. Fuel Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dombrows View Post
Hello!
With ALL that said, purchasing a Trailmanor also means having to purchase a tow vehicle. We are a one car family and plan to sell our Prius so that we still have only one car. We know full well that we'll be losing a lot in fuel efficiency going from our 40+mpg Prius to some sort of SUV, minivan, or Crossover, but I'm struggling to sort through all the options. So, I'm posting here to see if someone might be able to suggest:

What are some of the most fuel efficient vehicles that can tow one of the smaller Trailmanors? We are looking to buy used, so older model years are welcomed.

Any suggestions regarding the TV or even any insight on which Trailmanor to look for would be much appreciated!
Given you have a Prius, and I'll make the assumption it has been pretty reliable, so another factor you may want to consider is the reliability of the TV.

For example, when I first purchased my TM and was looking for a TV, I had dismissed the Toyota 4Runner/Lexus GX470 as costing too much given the number of miles the used ones had when I looked. I decided on a 2008 Ford Explorer which had much less miles for less money, was a 1 owner car, maintained well, but after a year developed transmission issues. We loved it and it worked very well for all our needs, but staring down the barrel of a 3-4k new transmission I decided to hit the reset button and trade it to Carmax and try again.

The experience left me "wiser" in a sense where I looked less at the price and number of miles, and more at the different brands history of reliability. As you might guess, my research (IMHO) showed the most reliable were the Toyota 4Runner/Lexus GX470. My next reality check was "adjusting" my expectations that these SUV's commanded premium prices even with higher miles !

Given we have a 3023, I preferred the V8 engine, and so 2003-09 Toyota 4Runner (V8 option)/Lexus GX470 (standard with V8) fit the bill, with prices ranging from 8-18K depending on miles, condition, options, etc ... and we found a beautiful 2005 Lexus GX470 that I am thrilled with .

Ideally if you could keep the Prius as a commute car, the TV fuel economy becomes less of an issue. But if you cannot keep the Prius, I think having 1 car in the family makes reliability an even a bigger factor over gas mileage.

I am not attempting to start a "Holy War" on which is the best TV or most reliable, but what I am suggesting is the "deal" I got on my Ford Explorer was meaningless once the transmission went, and reliability should be at the top of your list when deciding your many TV options. Good luck!
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

If concerned about reliability, Chrysler offers a "Maxcare Lifetime" service plan. This is a factory backed warranty, no third party involved, good at any Jeep-Chrysler-Ram dealer.

I have the $100 deductible option and the service plan expires at 999,999 miles or in 2099.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well just a suggestion but if confused about towing capacity, check the hitch receiver size with the factory towing package. a 1 1/4" is generally limited to 3500 lbs. A 2" is "more".

I have a 2" class III/IV receiver on mine so the limiting factor is not the hitch.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
dombrows

Thank you, all. These additional posts have been very helpful. It seems that we should maybe add a Jeep Grand Cherokee (diesel?) to our list of vehicles to consider. I'm also now looking into the Highlander Hybrid (I didn't know they had a hybrid option). My dad owned a Highlander and said it was incredibly reliable... he's a meticulous researcher, so I know he got it for good reasons (although not the same reasons that I'm considering one).

We are debating on whether or not to sell the Prius to make this all happen. It definitely makes a lot of sense to just keep it and use it as our day-to-day car around town, but we have a small driveway and rather not have to store the second vehicle on it or the street (assuming the trailer fits into our garage, which might be an issue because our garage is not exactly standard). Selling the Prius would also give us more money to put towards the TV/trailer combo.

We're currently out of the country, but return in May and hope to be looking for TrailManor and TV options in both the Dallas and Denver areas then. Thank you... everyone's suggestions are very helpful!
dombrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

If you can afford the upfront costs (and if available) then by all means a diesel is a good choice.

If not, the Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x2 with factory towing package (and the "E" group) has a much lower entry cost. The question is: "do you need a 4x4 ?" If not the 4x2 has better MPG, costs less, and is less complicated.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #8
BobTaylor

Default 2019 Chevy Traverse

I purchased a 2019 Traverse back in August to replace my gas guzzling F-150. Around town I get about 27-28 MPG. When towing I get 18+ MPG. I tow a 2720SL. No WDH or sway bar. The traction control system will automatically apply the trailer brakes if a fishtail event occurs. Very satisfied with the vehicle so far.
BobTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #9
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I use to be concern about towing MPG, still am. But, more concern with MPG overall in both towing and rest of the year when using the TV in none towing capacity.

Diesel I have had. I found the cost of ownership was higher. Total cost lets say after 150K miles. The additional up front cost and cost to maintain, repair, and additional cost for diesel. The total cost is higher for diesel ownership for me. Now maybe if I was full time, diesel would be the way to go?
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #10
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

In our TM towing experience ...first we used a 2002 Suburban 5.3l V8 took a 9500 mile trip..we got 13 mpg.

We now use a 2008 Toyota Sienna 3.5l V6 Towing it gets 17-18 mpg not towing up to 28.9 mpg This sienna has the tow prep package and abs disc brakes all around 17" wheels and tires I also have air lift 1000 bags and use a wdh. with anti sway
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181205_142929.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	17814   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181129_160710.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	17815   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181205_142849.jpg
Views:	136