Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2004, 06:14 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Wheel bearings throwing grease

Almost two weeks ago, my wife and I started our annual pilgrimage from Arizona to Maine. Before we left, I adjusted the TM brakes, and greased the wheel bearings with the appropriate grease. On the fifth night of the trip, we pulled into a gorgeous Colorado State Park, and as we were setting up, I noticed that the left wheel hub had ejected a golf-ball sized clot of grease onto the painted part of the wheel. The hub was not hot, and everything had ridden smoothly - there was just this big glob of grease.

Early the next day we went to Centennial RV in Grand Junction (great place, by the way!) and had them pull the wheel, hub, and bearings on both sides. They found nothing wrong - again, just this big glob of grease. They cleaned the grease and the road grime off both wheels, and we were on our way. However, during the rest of the trip, I continued to see small flecks of grease on both wheels.

I don't recall seeing this before. Anyone have a similar experience, or know what's going on here? I have sent a query to Dexter Axle, but don't expect much of a meaningful response.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote