TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
We have a lot of diversity in how people use TrailManors and where they use them. Extreme uses mandate more tow vehicle. Tow ratings are guidelines, not laws, but towing is something to be studied and taken seriously in all tow vehicles.
Tow ratings are what the manufacturer of any given vehicle states is theMAXIMUM amount of weight that the vehicle that they built is rated to tow.

Not sure how that can be interpreted as a "Guideline".

I understand that some people think that these multi-billion dollar corporations take these ratings lightly and really don't know what they are doing but I can assure you that they don't take anything lightly. Anything that effects competitiveness and market share is HUGE........wait a minute let me re-state that.........HUGE!!!!!!! and is what absolutely drives the industry.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post

Not sure how that can be interpreted as a "Guideline".
I'm not sure how something that's based heavily on competitiveness and market share could ever be interpreted as anything but a guideline based primarily on maximizing the market and minimizing the costs and liabilities. There would be room only for only a sidelong glance at the engineering issues in that scenario.

I actually find the variables in towing to be humbling, with a lot of unknowns that make any real precision difficult. Folks who buy a big tow vehicle and think that's all it takes to solve all their towing safety problems are mistaken. If the most important thing is safety, then the most important part of towing is being able to stop before you reach the scene of the accident. Therefore the single, most important factor in towing safety is speed.

At 60mph according to the studies I've been reading and posting on the forum lately, your stopping distance would go up or down by about 4% for every mph plus or minus (it's not actually linear, it gets worse the faster you go). The difference in safety between the best tow vehicle we know about in this forum and the worst could be less than 20mph. In the middle of the range, operating a vehicle basically as it was designed and for the purposes as intended, it's going to be more about the care and caution of how you drive than it is about what you drive.

There are a lot of factors to be considered in choosing a tow vehicle, and you need to let other people make decisions that might be different from yours.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote