TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
drdementia

Default Storing a Generator

Hello all,

First of all, thanks so much for providing a forum for prospective members. It’s been invaluable to my DH and me as we contemplate purchasing a TM. We’re likely going to put in a bid on a 2006 2720SL in the next few days—excited!

I’ve looked through the posts re: storing a generator but haven’t been able to find one that responds to our particular need—yet. We’re looking at buying a larger generator than the popular Honda 2000iA but want to make sure there will be a place to store it in the 2720SL. Is there an outside storage compartment with access in the back of this year/model of TM? And if there is, does anyone know the approximate dimensions of the storage area?

I’ve scoured the internet for pictures of the back of this trailer but to no avail, and we don’t have access to the trailer right now. Thanks for any help with these questions, and we look forward to becoming new owners and participating as site sponsors soon.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Al-n-Sue

Hello Susan - first hello neighbor - we live in Monument as well - in Jackson Creek. Send me a PM and I'll give you contact info in case you have additional questions.

I think you will have to get to a 3124 size trailer to have adequate storage in the back for a generator - of any size. We camp with friends who have a 3023 and his back storage is only about a foot deep. My 3124 has adequate size for a generator - in fact someone on the forum has built a loading ramp to get a Honda or Yamaha into the back of their 3124 or 3326. It appears that the storage space in a 2720 is about the same as a 3023. Keep in mind that the slide models typically put the battery/batteries in the rear storage.

By the way - just curious - why a "larger generator than the Honda 2000"?

Hope this helps and good luck on the TM.
Alan
Old 08-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
drdementia

Thanks for the welcome, Al and Sue! I will try to figure out how to send you a private message as we would love to make connection as neighbors--as soon as I figure it out, I'll send it (just learning all the ins-and-outs of this terrific forum)!

I'm disappointed about the lack of storage but it won't deter us from getting a TM. This will be our first recreation vehicle experience--the two-day rainout on our most recent tent camping excursion to Tarryall helped us make up our minds!--and the TM seems to meet all our needs.

As for the pursuit of a generator other than the Honda 2000, the Honda price is almost three times higher than a gas-powered generator my DH found that will go for 13 hours, with only modest increase in loudness. Of course, we're new to all this trailer stuff so our internet searches might be turning up items that really won't work. I'm sure there are good reasons why the Honda is so popular, too. We won't be buying a generator right away--with that kind of investment, we want to get it right the first time!

Look forward to connecting with you!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

I have a H2000, but couldn't get it to power the A/C. Is there a trick? I actually have two gens along with the gadget that hooks them together, but was hoping to get by with just lugging one of them around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
Hello Susan - first hello neighbor - we live in Monument as well - in Jackson Creek. Send me a PM and I'll give you contact info in case you have additional questions.

I think you will have to get to a 3124 size trailer to have adequate storage in the back for a generator - of any size. We camp with friends who have a 3023 and his back storage is only about a foot deep. My 3124 has adequate size for a generator - in fact someone on the forum has built a loading ramp to get a Honda or Yamaha into the back of their 3124 or 3326. It appears that the storage space in a 2720 is about the same as a 3023. Keep in mind that the slide models typically put the battery/batteries in the rear storage.

By the way - just curious - why a "larger generator than the Honda 2000"?

Hope this helps and good luck on the TM.
Alan

2003 3124KS drug by 2001 1500 2WD Suburban
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
ib4classics

The air conditioner pulls too many amps at startup for the single 2000, I have the same generator.
I think I read in here somplace that 2800 watts was the min. to run the air.
For drdementia, carefull with the cheap generators with high watage. Northern for example sell one that says its rated for a few hundred hours of operation then kapoot.
The purchase price is cheap, the watage is high, but the engines are not built to last.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
PopBeavers

Some generators produce modified sine wave power, which is fine for an electric saw at a construction site, but may not be good for a microwave oven or a television. The inverter style generators produce "cleaner" power.

While traveling, I store my Honda 2000 in the bed of the truck. Overnight I store it in the back seat of the truck. While gone for the day I store it inside the TM.

My single Honda 2000 will start my a/c near sea level, but will not restart it. It will not start it at 5,000 feet.

If I ever have a reason or desire to run my a/c with a generator I will add a second Honda 2000. Since March 2005 that has never happened.

I considered the Honda 3000, but I am not sure I could roll that in and out of the bed of the truck by myself, and I am real sure I could not secure it over night by putting it in the back seat of the truck.

I considered the Yamaha 2400, but that requires using 2 hands and carry it in front of me. I can carry the Honda with one hand, and by carrying it by my side instead of in front of me my back is happier.

30k truck
24k trailer
20k ATVs
1k generator

The generator was not what emptied my wallet
Old 08-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
drdementia

For ib4classics (love your handle BTW), you're spot on--the reason we were exploring the higher wattage gen's was to run AC. And thanks for the heads up about the cheaper gens' shorter lifespan--we're learning as we go, but that would be a pretty expensive lesson.

For PopBeavers, also learned something from your post re: modified sine wave power and our particular need in the TM--thanks. Loved your display of equipment and cost and what actually relieved you of your $--no kidding! We are over 60 so the ability to carry the generator will certainly be an issue. The portability, storability and quietness seem to be some of the reasons that the Honda 2000 is the choice of so many.

Thanks again for the help--probably saved us several hundred dollars on a purchase that wouldn't work.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
Al-n-Sue

Talking Where do you camp?

Something to consider will be what you use the generator for - just to charge the battery while dry camping, or to actually run the AC while camping other than in the mountains of Colorado? I've found few times in several years of camping (with a popup and TM) when I actually needed the AC. I've turned it on a few times just to be sure it works! Most of the places we camp have at least electrical hookups so have not had to deal with the battery much.

I did get your PM. I'll respond when I get home (had a little free time at work and just checked the forum.)
Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
PopBeavers

FWIW,

I only use the Honda 2000 to recharge my batteries. I could have done that with the Honda 1000.

I bought the Honda 2000 anyway, because it is only a little more expensive than the Honda 1000, and if in the future I have a nee dot run the a/c on a generator then I will buy a second one, or borrow my brothers.

The primary variables in gnerator choice are:

1. how clean is the power (modified sine, pure sine, etc.)
2. how much power (watts).
3. price
4. weight (we have to move these beasts around
5. noise level (not important if no one is around)
6. ease of carrying (single handle, double handle, wheels)
7. flexibility (parallel two to get more power)
8. reliability (brand name or cheap import)
9. serviceability (if it breaks while on a cross country trip where is the nearest dealer)
10. fuel (gas, propane, diesel, dual)
12. fuel capacity (how to run the a/c all night long on a single tank)
13. security (how hard is it to bolt it down)
14. ease of start (pull rope or electric)
15. safety (if running unattended is there anywhere a child could place their hands and get injured)

Did I miss anything important?

This is the 5th year we have been using the Honda 2000. 1000/5 is 200 dollars per year for the capital purchase. After that it is just the gas. About a pint of gas per hour of run time. About an hour per day of camping. About 7 camp outs per year.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
Al-n-Sue

I just discovered a web site with a ton of very interesting information in it. It is called modmyrv.com -
http://www.modmyrv.com/2009/05/27/rv...tart-capacitor
and this article caught my interest due to the topic of this thread.
Hope this helps.