TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
TravlinOn

Default Roof Sealants – Further Info

During a recent light rain, I noticed water dripping from the ceiling under where the antenna is attached to the roof. After reading some of the posts here about re-caulking leaks, I went shopping online and here is some further info on what has already been posted. Hopefully, it might be helpful to others who are just starting to explore a leak problem.

*** I found posts that recommended 3M 4000 UV Polyether Adhesive Sealant which currently can be found online at westmarine dot com for $15.99 per 10oz cartridge and $12.99 per 3oz tube. Here is West’s description of the product:

“4000 UV Polyether Adhesive Sealant@Body Text:Resistant to weathering, salt water and stresses caused by joint movement. White, non-yellowing formula is ideal for above and below waterline applications where aesthetic appeal is a priority. Seals between mechanically fastened joints on wood, fiberglass, metal and most plastics. Applications include sealing deck to hull joints, thru-hull fittings, window and door frames,etc. It is also paintable. Highly recommended for ABS, Lexan and other plastics.
• Formulation: One-part polyether adhesive/sealant
• Recommended Usage: Fiberglass, wood, metal, some plastics
• Cure Time: Tack free: 2 hrs; complete cure: 24 hrs
• Clean Up: Mineral spirits or kerosene
• Removal: Mechanical removal
• Tensile strength: 300psi”

*** Note the use of kerosene (and Mineral spirits) as a possible clean up material. I haven’t seen this possibility mentioned in previous posts.

*** I also found posts that recommended C-10 Flow Seal Self Leveling Caulk which currently can be found online at Amazon.com (*** Note: C-10 is made by Dyco which has been mentioned in some posts as available in trailer parts stores at a much higher price than Amazon.) and is priced by Amazon at $6.20 per cartridge for the white, ivory and for the grey. Product description is:

Perfect for use on horizontal surfaces, such as roofs of recreational vehicles, mobile homes, metal buildings and utility sheds. Provides a tough, flexible, synthetic rubber seal.

*** Amazon also has Eternabond RoofSeal white 4” x 50’ for $54.90.

*** Amazon also has the 3M 4000 Marine Sealant for $8.23 and $13.46.

I am sure that there are other sources for these products but hopefully this info is a starter.