TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
joe&Nance

Question How to tell if horizontal propane tanks are full

Hey, never had horizontal propane tanks b4, just wondering if there is a way 2 tell if they r full without removing and putting vertical? They read as 1/2 full on one and 1/4 full on the other, but once I take them off one reads as full and the other over 1/2 full. Since they are rather heavy, it seems that the reading while vertical is the correct one. I don't want 2 have 2 take them off everytime if there is a way 2 actually tell.
Thanks in advance.
Nance
Old 11-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

The gauges are to be read when the tank is horizontal. When the tank is vertical, the gauge reading doesn't mean much.

When my tanks are full, the gauges say the tank is roughly 3/4 full. I don't know if that's because that's really the level (due to the OPD valve), or if the gauge is a little off.

In any event, since I question the real accuracy of these things, you might just want to pay specific attention to what your particular gauges say you after you get them filled, and then right after you run one dry. Then you'll know your true readings.

If you're not using the furnace, the propane will last a very long time if you're only doing occasional weekend trips. Like maybe even a full season.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
joe&Nance

Thanks so very much 4 the info. We are going 2 the beach (Half Moon Bay) and will want 2 use heater @ night and also run the fridge as no hook-up there, so better go get them filled tomorrow!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe&Nance View Post
Hey, never had horizontal propane tanks b4, just wondering if there is a way 2 tell if they r full without removing and putting vertical? They read as 1/2 full on one and 1/4 full on the other, but once I take them off one reads as full and the other over 1/2 full. Since they are rather heavy, it seems that the reading while vertical is the correct one. I don't want 2 have 2 take them off everytime if there is a way 2 actually tell.
Thanks in advance.
Nance
I can't help much as I have the same problem. I had mine filled (they're horizontal tanks but must be filled vertically) this last Saturday and my propane dealer said the gauges are not very accurate either way (horizontal or vertical).

After they were filled, the gauges said "full". As soon as I mounted them horizontally, the gauges said "3/4" on one and "5/8" on the other.

The dealer said the best way is to weigh them. The empty bottle tare weight is stamped on the cage around the valve (it's somewhere around 18#). A full 20# bottle will weigh about 38#.

It's a real pain to remove them just to find out how full they are. Worse than that, the automatic switch-over regulator usually switches when there is still as much as 1 1/2 gallons left in the so called "empty" bottle.

My dealer said this is caused by the "new" OPD Acme valve system on the tanks. He said it is caused by the restriction in the new male fitting that goes into the valve receptacle.

The OPD valve has an internal check valve that will not allow propane to flow (even if the hand valve is open) unless the "probe" on the male fitting is nearly fully tightened. This restricts flow and makes the change-over regulator think the nearly empty tank has low pressure and is empty (especially in cold weather).

Yeh...!! you're right. Your government has protected us right out another practical system because were too dumb to turn the valve off before we disconnect the hose.

My propane dealers' solution is to use the old style POL male fitting on the end of the hose. It has a larger hole in the fitting and the fitting also pushes the internal check valve further open. He says it is legal, but of course it defeats the auto shutoff feature of the Acme OPD valve.

Sorry... if this is too much information.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekenSpider View Post
Worse than that, the automatic switch-over regulator usually switches when there is still as much as 1 1/2 gallons left in the so called "empty" bottle.
Interesting...I don't have this problem, or at least I don't think I do. I've at least never noticed it. I'll check the next time I fill, which will be later in the winter. And I just put brand new ACME nuts on there with new pigtails.

In addition to weighing tanks, which is obviously less than ideal in this situation, you can tell the tank levels by pouring hot water over the tanks....since these are horizontal tanks, do it while the tank is horizontal, mounted right on the TM. The "level" of propane in the tank is the layer at which the liquid propane and vapor propane meet. The liquid propane is always at the bottom, so the higher the layer of liquid, the fuller your tanks are.

A few seconds after pouring the hot water over the tank, run your hand down the side of the tank. It will be warm at the top, where the propane vapor is, but much cooler at whatever level the liquid propane starts. When you hit that cooler spot, that's the level of propane in your tank.

Of course, I'm not sure how you're going to convert this into a Empty-Full reading, since the width of a horizontal tank going from the high point to the low point varies. But it's better than nothing.

They also make decals or thermometers that stick on the side that change color to indicate the level. I tried one years back for a BBQ tank, and wasn't very impressed. But maybe there are others that work better.

Dave
Old 11-04-2009, 12:14 AM   #6
joe&Nance

Wow, great info from both of you. Sure do hope mine doesn't kick over early, haven't had the opportunity 2 find out yet. I also like the idea of the water! sure would make it easier 2 guess. Since I do have them off now, I think I will try 2 weigh them tomorrow, b4 and after.

& Jerry, not 2 much info. I completely understand, it makes it difficult 2 go camping if you have 2 take them off early. I am hoping that isn't the case as this fall I want 2 go 2 Montana and will b on road few weeks. What a pain if have 2 constantly try 2 find a place 2 fill tanks!! Better forewarned, now I know what 2 look 4.
Nance
Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
jhill30

mine has a gauge that shows horizontal and vertical. I thought all of them were this way. maybe it was a mod someone before me did.
am I the only one??
Old 11-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
rumbleweed

The gauge mechanism is installed differently in a horizontal tank. It will not read correctly with the tank in the vertical position. I will try to find the diagram I have and post it. My horiz gauges read bout 3/4 when full not sure why. Below is some good info on Propane use. On the right hand side of the page is some good data on consumption and reserve capacity.

http://www.coxontool.com/index.php/Airstream/Propane
Old 11-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
joe&Nance

Hi, thanks for the additional info - great site, just noticed that my tanks face forward, toward my truck, it seems that based on the info provided that they should have some type of protection (The propane regulator is the heart of the propane system. Take care to protect it from the elements which could cause it to malfunction. Regulators need to be installed and protected so as to prevent the vent's clogging due to rain, snow, sleet, ice, condensation or road spray. To prevent the regulator from being exposed to these conditions, special shielding protection must be provided) should there be some kind of shield around there that I don't have for traveling?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe&Nance View Post
should there be some kind of shield around there that I don't have for traveling?
There should be a white plastic cover that goes over the regulator, which is a silver/gray metal. It looks like the product on the right in this image:

Dave