TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
NoReverse

Default LP tank size

Looking for someone with experience in replacing the 2x5gal LP with 7gal tanks. In addition to the regular appliances we "Tee" our tanks to fuel an outdoor BBQ and lanterns and prefer to stay with just two tanks. How would I go about calculating the effect this would have at the hitch to decide what, if any, modifications to my current set-up? Thanks.
NoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I would assume that ~95% of the additional weight would be on the tongue. Not a big deal, as long as your vehicle can handle the additional weight. If that's not an issue, I don't see any problem as long as they physically fit and mounted securely.

If you have some extra bucks, you can buy larger aluminum or fiberglass tanks that will weigh less than your existing 5 gal tanks.

With what vehicle are you towing the TM?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
markandanne

Which model TM are you talking about? I have a single 7 gal tank that I use for my grill at home, and I've eyed sticking it on the TM to see if two of these would fit, but first I want to get a fully loaded tongue weight with the 5 gal tanks to see how marginal I am, and then my next question is whether they will be in the way when you swing front shell up and down.

I've found that the arc that the front shell follows takes up some of the space on the tongue that might otherwise hold something (such as the Yamaha EF2400is generator). I don't think the actual mounting would be very difficult, although I haven't looked at the hoses to see if they would reach. I think instead of switching to 30 lb tanks I'll eventually add a 3rd tank of 5 or 11 lbs for the extra appliances like ShrimpBurrito (Dave) has done, so that the lantern/grill/etc would be more portable. They should be short enough to fit on my tongue without getting in the way of the swinging front shell, although I'd verify it first.