TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
cjrepair

Default Bad wheels

I took my tires to get balanced yesterday as seen sugested. when I returned to pick them up the guy told me that one of my rims was out of round. he said its not the tire but the rim and I should use it as a spare. when I got home I put 2 on the road side. then when on the curb side I decied to spin the tires while still in the air. and noticed one of them was not spinning right. it seems the holes are not centered. has anyone else noticed this before! could it be the problem with the tire blowout????
Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrepair View Post
I took my tires to get balanced yesterday as seen sugested. when I returned to pick them up the guy told me that one of my rims was out of round. he said its not the tire but the rim and I should use it as a spare. when I got home I put 2 on the road side. then when on the curb side I decied to spin the tires while still in the air. and noticed one of them was not spinning right. it seems the holes are not centered. has anyone else noticed this before! could it be the problem with the tire blowout????
Calvin, I need to ask some more specific questions before I can give a knowledgeable answer.

When you said a wheel was out of round, while it was being balanced......which way was it appearing to be out of round? Did it have movement from side to side (like the center/hub of the wheel was warped) or was the movement more up and down (basically like the wheel wasn't circumferentially round)?

The same questions apply to when you noticed the one on your trailer, while free spinning it.

Ok on this next question, I'm not trying to insult your or anyone's intelligence, so please don't get offended by the next question. I only ask it because I see it almost everyday in my business. When you mounted the tire/wheels back onto the trailer, did you make sure that the tapered end of the lug nut faces the wheel. I have many customers who put the lug nuts on backwards, which won't allow a lug centric wheel (which is what the trailmanors have) to be centered properly on the hub.

EDIT: I am also assuming you have factory steel rims on your trailer. If you have aluminum rims (which some new TManors have, but I haven't seen to know what kind of lugnuts are on them)) or aftermarket wheels, then you may have different lugnuts to fit these rims. I am also assuming you didn't change the lugnuts ( use some fancy chrome ones or such) when you balanced the tires/rims. Can you also let me know what kind of rims you have?

http://site.brandsport.com/exterior/...ball-seats.jpg

Also, have you experienced a tire blowout (which I am assuming you have by asking if the damage could have occured from this)? If you did blowout a tire(s), how far did you have to drive on the wheel?

A posted picture can sometimes be the easiest answer.

Thanks

Bobby
Old 03-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
cjrepair

Its up and down. even the center around the hub is not spaced evenly. I tightened the nuts in a cross pattern. stock steel wheels. no blowouts yet. getting ready to go on a trip from VA. to SC. I just got this trailer barley used. I understand about the lug nutz being on wrong. I work at N A P A and work on cars as a hobby. It used to be full time until I wanted a steady payckeck.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
2blueranger
Site Sponsor

Hey, I went and had my tires balanced yesterday also. Low and behold one of the tire/wheel I have been using since I bought the TM new in 2005 was whobbling side to side on the balance machine. I finally decided, after 3 years, to have the tires balanced. I always noticed one of the wheels red/blue stripes didn't go all the way around the wheel. I'm using it as a spare. My TM should really pull well now.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
larsdennert

I have one 14" wheel and tire left if anyone needs it. I'm in Los Angeles so you'd have to be local 'cause wheels are cheap and it probably doesn't pay to ship it. Maybe those TMs have 15"s though.

Make sure you are truly checking the wheel for roundness and not the tire. Tires are often out of round.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
cjrepair

Checked all five wheels on sunday. only one is out of round. it is the spare now. one of the tires has a 3 oz. weight on one side and a 1 oz on the other side. seems to be a bit much. but it is round. they are 14 inch marathons. we will see how this trip goes.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
cjrepair

must have posted in wrong arera. anyway the trip went great. about 900 miles no problems. except the roof latch leaked in the rain. got about 15 M.P.G. read this morning in tire area someone else had a problem with a rim. I might call TM about mine.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrepair View Post
Its up and down. even the center around the hub is not spaced evenly.
Sorry, I didn't reply sooner. That is interesting about the hub not being spaced evenly. It certainly would mess things up drastically, especially on the balance part, if for some reason the center is off kiltered.

With other members also having wheel balance problems, it's got me to wondering if there could possibly be a problem with the maufacturer of the wheels that Trailmanor is using.

Please, Let us know what TManor or the dealer tells you about this, if you do contact them.

EDIT: A 1 and 3 oz weight on each side, really isn't much at all for balancing purposes (it's within what we call normal parameters). Nothing to be concerned with. It was more than enough to give you some vibration, which you should have took care of now.