TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #11
Lloyd51

I want to say thanks to all the replys to my post. I attempted to make reservations today inside yellowstone. But the only place that we could get was fishing bridge campground which has no picnic tables or fire pits, so I made reservations at the KOA in west yellowstone. We will be down there from the 17 till the 23 of JUN. If anybody else out there will be in the area we would love to meet other trailmanor owners. I will post some pictures in the near future when we get back.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #12
TREXHUNTERS
Site Sponsor

Lloyd51,
You may also try Norris Campground which is on the West side of the figure eight at the intersection in the middle. It is first come, first serve so you have to get there in the AM. It's not too far from West Yellowstone if your inclined.
We tent camped there last year and loved it. It has a nice amphitheatre where ranger talks are held every evening and a fairly easy hiking trail that leaves from the campground. We stayed in Gardner two years before that. You do save significant driving time staying in the park though coming in from West Yellowstone, you can hunt for baldies every day.

trex
TREXHUNTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #13
Lloyd51

I was curious we have made all our reservations for yellowstone, On our way back home we didnt want to make a 24 hour trip back to chicago. So I planned to go thru nebraska on our way home anybody have any recomendations on any state parks there we could stay a couple nights. I have never been to nebraska so would like to see the state and not just driving thru. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #14
Al-n-Sue

Default Staying in Nebraska

Quote:
So I planned to go thru nebraska on our way home anybody have any recomendations on any state parks there we could stay a couple nights.
Lloyd - I've never camped in Nebraska, but we have friends who go there frequently and camp at Lake McConaughy. (http://www.lakemcconaughy.com/). Another possibility, if you've never been there is the Black Hills of South Dakota. We camped at the Rafter J Bar (http://www.rafterj.com/) which is just a few miles from Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Custer State Park, which also has good camping. There are lots of other good camp grounds and RV parks in this area. Sounds like you have a great trip planned! Good Luck.
Alan
Old 04-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #15
jonesmg

Ok...we are planning a trip in August of this year...already made reservations at fishing Bridge...what, if I may ask, are the MUST sees while we are there? We will have 5 days in the park!

thank much
Old 04-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #16
SCBillandJane

Default Must see suggestions

See our earlier post. You will be relatively close to the Lake Lodge. Your camp will be in the middle of the figure 8 road pattern at the park which is good.
There are roads on both sides of the grand canyon of Yellowstone. Be sure to go to both. Take the short but steep hike down to the overlook at the top of the lower falls.
Everyone goes to see Old Faithful. Almost no one takes the relatively short hike up the side of the ridge that overlooks Old Faithful and the geyser basin. You get a unique view without the crowds that we found fascinating.
The north east entrance to the park is not one to use with a trailer because of steep grades and sharp curves, but has been described as the most scenic mountain road in the lower 48 states, but that is an opinion.
Not knowing how you like to tour, my suggestion is to allow a day for each quarter of the figure 8 and use the fifth day to see the Grand Tetons to the south. You can "see" it in one day, it is different than Yellowstone, and in my opinion it is worth the trip.
Lastly, there are many short hikes and geyser walks. Take as many as possible because each shows you something new which is what makes this park our favorite.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #17
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Bill & Jane,
On the TrailManor Owner's Forum you said,
"The north east entrance to the park is not one to use with a trailer because of steep grades and sharp curves,
but has been described as the most scenic mountain road in the lower 48 states, but that is an opinion."
What makes you say that?

Helen and I are planning a trip in 2009 and we were going to use the NE entrance to Yellowstone.
We have been to Yellowstone, by auto, several years ago.

Has anyone used that entrance while towing a TrailManor?

Comments???
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesjunk View Post
Bill & Jane,
On the TrailManor Owner's Forum you said,
"The north east entrance to the park is not one to use with a trailer because of steep grades and sharp curves,
but has been described as the most scenic mountain road in the lower 48 states, but that is an opinion."
What makes you say that?

Helen and I are planning a trip in 2009 and we were going to use the NE entrance to Yellowstone.
We have been to Yellowstone, by auto, several years ago.

Has anyone used that entrance while towing a TrailManor?

Comments???
I've done it a couple times, and Bill&Jane are right - there are steep grades and sharp curves. My Explorer handled it fine, though, and I think your Tundra (and theirs) will do even better. I think they were referring to a tow vehicle that is only marginally adequate to start with - I'm thinking those with 3500 pound ratings.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #19
agesilaus

I've done that road a number of times and while it is steep I would not compare it with the roads in RMNP or Glacier NP. Both of which are much more scenic. And so is the Toulomne Meadows to Tioga pass road in Yosemite. And maybe any number of roads in Colorado, Wolf Creek Pass for one. I could list 10 more.

BK
Old 05-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #20
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Unhappy huh? (Friendly, slightly puzzled "argument")

Quote:
Originally Posted by agesilaus View Post
I've done that road a number of times and while it is steep I would not compare it with the roads in RMNP or Glacier NP. Both of which are much more scenic....
BK
BK, you know he's talking about the US-12 "Beartooth Pass" entrance? Absolutely gorgeous, quite comparable to "Trail Ridge Road" and "Going to the Sun". Maybe not "better", but certainly in the same class. Not just my opinion either-- it's a GORP "top 10", Charles Kuralt's choice as THE most scenic road in all of America's lower 48....

- - - -
OTOH, I'd be thrilled to see your "next 10" list. Please reply!
I suspect that you're confusing it with the merely "nice" Eastern Entrance, US 16 from Cody.
- - - -

And I agree with above posters, a Tundra as the TV will do fine in either direction, even down (in spite of the 11K altitude). Joe, if you've got the option of going in that way, definitely TAKE IT. Heck, even from Cody, I'm inclined to take the slower and longer "Chief Joseph Hwy --> US-212 --> NE entrance route, because the scenery is so nice (even though it does miss the actual "Beartooth Pass" and extreme grades of the drive from Red Lodge). I'd only use the "regular" US-14/16/20 route (from the East) if I wanted to get to Fishing Bridge directly, to dump the RV into camp ASAP.

From 1984 to 1998, I took part in a Bozeman "classical music camp" nearly every summer. Back then, I lived in Mpls, so I was always coming or going via US-16/14/16/20, US-12, or US-89, or 191, or 287... I *never* came/went directly on the Interstate. But since moving out West, I haven't gone there.