TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
Jamo928

Default Power Converter

Hey guys/gals, this is my 1st time posting here but have been looking through the forum for a while. My wife and I recently purchased a 2007 TM 3023 and have found that the power converter was bad. When plugged into shore power, it would not charge the battery. I checked that the ground was good on it, and it was, so I ordered a new power converter. Now I have run into the problem of removing the old one. The red power wire that connects to the circuit board with the fuses on it is more or less corroded so badly that I will not unscrew. I have tried everything short of pouring a can of coke on it (I will not do that). So here I am looking for a new circuit board to replace the one I have, and having a heck of a time locating one. It is a Wannien 03V0-0 94V-0 0608 circuit board, from what I have researched and found its a Taiwan company that pretty much mass produces any circuit board that you can dream up. So ordering one from them is a futile task as they speak no English and the website is 100% translated from Taiwanese to English. Does anyone know where I can find one of these or even the entire power distribution box that the camper comes with?? I am electrically inclined (I work as an avionics technician in the air force) and can fix this with the right parts, but finding the right parts is a whole other beast that I need help with.
Jamo928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

I changed out the board on mine with a replacement that I purchased on Amazon. I did not need to remove the board with the fuses on it, just the lower part with the transformer and cooling fan. The screws holding the hot neutral and ground were tight, but broke free. I realize you may be facing a different problem but have you ensured that the ENTIRE unit is bad? Did you check the two reverse polarity fuses? Perhaps you can just change the portion of the unit that has failed?
In my case, the power converter was supplying A/C power to the main board but the transformer ( or whatever the heat sinked thing is ) was not putting out 12v.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 05-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
Jamo928

What I'm trying to replace is exactly what you did, but that hot (red) line to the circuit board will not come out. there is a good amount of green/brown/white corrosion on the screw itself and it will not budge. I have tried for 2 days now after work to get this screw to loosen with no luck. I have several tools at my disposal to do the job and even borrowed some from work. the screw will not move lol. my only option is getting a new circuit board and replace it.
thanks for your reply though.
Jamo928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Replacing a converter in the TM is something that has been described numerous times here on the forum, so you might try using the search engine to quickly read through some threads. I'm sure someone will chime in with what they did, but there are numerous options to replace the one installed by the factory, and it's not a particularly expensive ($100-$200) or difficult job, especially given your background.

In addition to searching for prior threads, check out these pages:
http://www.bestconverter.com/Magnete...Kits_c_64.html
http://www.bestconverter.com/Magnete...II_ep_8-1.html

I believe this is also a potential replacement for the whole unit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAVRXA

...but again, others here have done the research to know the ins/outs. No need to source directly from Taiwan.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
Shane826
TrailManor Master

There's a guy on the parts section of this website parting out a 2720, maybe he can help with a circuit board?
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #6
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Default Another Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo928 View Post
What I'm trying to replace is exactly what you did, but that hot (red) line to the circuit board will not come out. there is a good amount of green/brown/white corrosion on the screw itself and it will not budge. I have tried for 2 days now after work to get this screw to loosen with no luck. I have several tools at my disposal to do the job and even borrowed some from work. the screw will not move lol. my only option is getting a new circuit board and replace it.
thanks for your reply though.
JAMO,
Since the wires get replaced with the new board why not try cutting the wire close to the screw. With the wire and board out of the way perhaps you can get in there with diagonals or a needle nose and pull some wires out of the center of the stump. If you can reduce the diameter,perhaps the screw can be worked out. Another option may be to drill the screw out. Tough to do mounted on a board, but if you hold the lug with visegrips or something and start with a small bit and advance slowly... you can always fine some kind of replace screw.

Don't give up!

Paul