TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-15-2002, 12:11 PM   #1
dmegde

Default Winterizing

The owner's manual indicates toi winterize, you should open the tub and sink faucets; all four drain valves plus open the drain value on water heater.  By leaving the drain valves open, has anyone experience problem with mice?  If so, what did you do to prevent mice from entering the trailer through the drain lines?  
Old 10-15-2002, 12:52 PM   #2
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Winterizing

I think that they mean to open all of the drains and the faucets to make sure that all of the water is drained from the lines. I always do this step when I winterize our Trailmanor, but I then close them when I pump the non toxic antifreeze through the lines. I had a by pass put on my hot water heater so I do not have to fill it up with the antifreeze. Some people may think that this is a waste of money, but I was told that some water can still remain in the water pump and could freeze. Living up north in Pa., I do NOT like to take any chances. I would rather be safe than have an expensive mess to fix in March when I open up the trailer.                               Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 01:43 PM   #3
oilspot

TrailManors are supposed to be exceptionally easy to winterize, thanks to the low-point drains.  There isn't really much to it beyond draining the HW heater and protecting the toilet, and maybe blowing out the pump with a little air.

My drain lines (except for the waste drain) are much too small for mice to enter.

I did have trouble with mud daubers, when I first bought the trailer this summer.  They had nested in just about every drain line, including the A/C condensate drain.  Fortunately they were easy enough to clear and flush out.

I think someone also recommended putting a small peice of window screen over the waste drain if you were worried about critters.

{The waste drain is the big black plastic drain for black and grey waters}
Old 10-16-2002, 09:28 AM   #4
arknoah

A bypass for the hot water heater is a must and certainly a reasonable expense.  Our dealer explained that first of all, if you didn''t have a bypass, you would have to buy more antifreeze to winterize the unit or disconnect the hot water tank altogether.  The space to work in there is small enough that my slight larger than average hands just won't fit.  The guy who installed my bypass had to unhook the entire  sink to do it.  Also, if when draining the system in the spring, you didn't get all of the antifreeze out of the hot water tank, it would really affect the taste and smell of the water.  

I thought the bypass was a value for the money.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:19 AM   #5
Happytrails

Thanks for the tip on the hot water heater FJ. When I received mine, it had been completely bypassed, and there was the redish antifreeze in the lines. (Although neglected, they at least did the right thing and properly winterized it.) But at least I know to put on the bipass kit now for sure instead of putting that antifreeze in the tank.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Old 10-16-2002, 12:58 PM   #6

I will second the bypass kit, the best invention since indoor plumbing. BTW want to do away with the hassle of winterizing?   MOVE SOUTH! ;D, if we winterize it won't be until after Thanksgiving!

Aaron
Old 09-20-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
Debian Dog

TTT for those starting early
Old 09-20-2006, 07:50 PM   #8
MidwestDave

Default Don't forget

Don't forget the outside shower head needs to be removed too am told!

Midwest Dave
Cool Northwestern Illinois