TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2002, 02:59 PM   #1
Gene

Default Toilet chemicals for recirculating toilet

In our Theford recirculating toilet, we only use is for liquids, if you know what I mean. We don't even throw toilet paper in it. I cannot control the odor. It is really bad. I have tried many products, with no success. Has anybody tried a bacteria/enzyme type of chemical? Did it help control the odor? Do you have another solution to this problem?
Old 03-11-2002, 03:52 PM   #2
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Default Re: Toilet chemicals for recirculating toilet

In my opinion, after owning a TM for 3 years (16,000+ miles) the only chemical that works is Thetford's Blue. ;D  Some people don't like it because (1) it is a formaldehyde base, and/or (2) the "perfumed" aroma is stronger than they like. :'( My experience is that you either get a strong perfumed aroma or the "sewer odor."  :-/  I prefer the perfumed aroma. :

I tried Thetford's Green to move away from the formaldehyde (environmentally safer) but found it's odor control to be less than the Blue.

I have tried others that didn't control odor as well as the Thetford Green.  I can live with Thetford's Green product, but still prefer the Blue.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use any product other than Thetford in your commode.  The rubber seals (and I assume other internal rubber parts) can be adversely affected by some to the other products and cause the rubber to deteriorate.  I replaced 2 EZ-Slide valves on mine because the neoprene seals failed, most likely due to the non-Thetford chemicals I used.  
Old 03-12-2002, 12:16 AM   #3
arknoah

I agree with Paul.  We tried to use the green Thetford to be more environmental, but it didn't control the odor.  Of course, at the time, we were only using it half strength.  Even so, we found the Thetford blue to be the best.

Whenever we dump, we usually put in more water in the toilet and dump it again to get any stray pieces out and just to rinse it before putting in more chemical.  

Perhaps there is some other bacterial browth in your toilet that is causing the odor.  If the unit sat for a long time, this is possible.  You may want to use a tank or two of the Thetford blue then check out the odor again (or let it check you out!)  If it's still there, it might be time to see a dealer about your toilet.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2002, 05:45 AM   #4

the blue is what we use. also we have a cool sewer system called the "sewersolution model v. expense but allows us to backflow into the tank for extra cleaning. wed site is www.sewersolution.com

Old 03-12-2002, 08:50 AM   #5

There are also some good tips regarding toilets on page two of the General Discussion, and on page two of the Maintenance Discussion.  One even makes reference to the web site; www.Thetford.com.

If you are currently hooked up to a water and sewer/septic tank system full time, you probably need to shut off the holding tank drain valve.  If the drain valve is open the sewer/septic tank fumes will build up and exit up through the toilet, especially when flushed.  If I remember correctly there is no separate vent pipe from the holding tank on TMs like there are on other travel trailers.  We do not own a TM at this time, but are thinking about getting one. I assume you have checked and that the fuse on the toilet is working.  

Again thank you for all your suggestions, we have learned lots from this webs site.

Old 03-14-2002, 04:10 AM   #6
Bruce

We are still experimenting with toilet chemicals but have found Thetford Blue to be the gold standard as far as odor control.
  Do not use Odorlos brand in your recirculating toilet. It is a waste of $.
  We are currently trying out EnviroChem. It has a pleasant odor but it is too soon to tell if it works as well as the bad old formaldehyde type products.

Bruce Martin
Old 03-20-2002, 08:25 AM   #7

Gene,

We too, tried Thetford's Green, EnviroChem and several other more environmental friendly chemicals, but have resigned ourselves that until we hear differantly we are going to use the formaldehyde based Thetford Blue product. It's the only one that comes close to controling odor, especially as the heat of summer sets in. I'm not extremely fond of the purfume Thetford uses in the product, but it beats the alternative. Now that I have presented nothing new, I would suggest two things that I'm sure need not be said, but you never know.

We: 1) keep the toilet seat down- Thetford has made the seal somewhat tight on this recirculating unit probably for the very reason we are discussing, and 2) we always keep the exhaust fan running.

Also, it's my intention to fabricate a small ductwork using a piece of plastic square tubing to be secured to the base of the tub and a small flexible short hose (1&quot affixed to the rear portion of the toilet's lid. Of course, I'll have to cut or drill a hole in the lid. There will need to be some sort of fixture devised to act as a siphon type vent to be used in conjunction with the small 12 volt exhaust fan located in a convenient spot near the bottom of the tub. I think it just might help. I'll let you know if it does or doesnt work.

happy trails..............George
Old 03-20-2002, 09:40 AM   #8
hal

Just before the "new" Tretta site was set up, there was a poll on terlits and chemicals that people used.  If it is possible to get into the "old" Tretta site, you would find some very good discussion and results of such questions as "which chemical do you use?" and what ratio of chemical to water works best?"  Or possibly with the camping season coming on, maybe another poll would be in order.  I do know one thing that worked well for us was to leave our little cousin home. > ;D ;D

Hal
Old 03-20-2002, 09:55 AM   #9

I wonder what percentage of TM owners actually charge their toilets?  This also might be interesting in a poll.  I'm guessing if the "guys" had a significant say in this matter the Thetfords would have little company.  
Old 03-22-2002, 03:45 AM   #10

About how many owners "charge" their toilets,,,, I always charged mine in my drive-way at home before I would leave. Part of my trailer prep. Also, before braking camp, after I dumped, I would add Thetford's toilet cleaner to the toilet, fill it up with water until it was to the botom of the bowl, run the pump for a minute or two, (but not continously. I didn't know if it would overheat the pump motor or not), then dump again.

Between that, and/or using Thetford's blue Aqua-chem, (not the blue Campa-chem), I never had an oder problem. A local Thetford dealer that sold both the blue Aqua-chem, and blue Campa-chem, told me that the Campa-chem did not break down the waste, it just deoderized, the Aqua-chem did both. Said the green stuff just did not work very well at all. Don't know if it is true or not, that is just what I was told.

Mack