TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-26-2002, 02:02 PM   #1

Default Re: Replacement A/C

TM nows puts the A/Cs on the forward, outer shell.  To do so, the AC unit is further lifted so that it is flush to the inner surface of that shell in order to properly close over the inner shell.  This new location obviously improves the A/C performance for all sizes.  As an engineer it's a heck of a weight to counterbalance with the torsion bars.

I would think that the previous +13" height spec is in jeopardy as these units seem HIGH.  TM says these units go into garages.  But I imagine it's a close fit for a 7' garage door.  
Old 04-27-2002, 07:10 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The torsion bars seem to be up to it, no problem, and the central location is good from a weight distribution standpoint. And the air distribution from the center location is great. But you are exactly right, the +13" height spec no longer works.  I have exactly 1/4" clearance in my 83" door opening. That was a big Yikes! the first time we backed it in - I had been expecting about 6" of clearance.

As in all things, there are trades. We love having the extra kitchen cabinet and the excellent air distribution. On the down side, a larger airco requires a larger generator if you plan to operate that way. And it will be more painful to try to carry our kayaks up there.  But I think there was another thread where everyone pretty much agreed that canoes and kayaks were better carried on the tow vehicle anyway, and fortunately we can do that.

BTW, it is a good-quality unit - DuoTherm by Dometic, it says on the outside.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 03:14 AM   #3

Well, I got my new AC unit installed this weekend. I ended up having to put in a Fedders 8000 BTU unit in. I bought the 10,000 and it was just way too deep for the hole in my 91 M23. Maybe in newer models campers, they set up the cabinet different, but to put the 10,000 BTU unit in would have required quite of bit of cutting of the cabinet facia as well as having the unit stick out and inch or more on the inside of the camper.

The 8000 unit fit in the hole snugly, required very little modification of trim, it doesnt' stick out of the cabinet either on the inside of the camper or the outside. I love this unit because of it's has an Electronic thermosat so you can set the exact temp you want, an auto-fan setting which will automatically lower the fan speed as you approach the desire temperature. It even has a remote so if it gets too cold at night, I don't even have to get out bed! It's so much quieter than that Whirlpool unit I had in there before.

I'm really looking forward to some quiet and comfortable nights camping this year. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Gary
Old 05-26-2002, 09:36 AM   #4
Happytrails

Gmallia, what unit did ya get? Brand/model wise....as well as the price? Does it cool the camper well? Just curious, still looking for one as we speak. BTW, as per Jimmy Davis, the roof mounted AC unit would require changing out the torsion bars......at $99.00 a pop, plus special wiring as well to get 120v up there. Bill, I'm curious what all you went through to get your unit up there....did you install it yourself? What kind of cost was involved? I'd be looking at around $600.00 + the cost of the new torsion bars to have one installed by a shop here. Just curious. That's seriously the way I originally wanted to go, but just shy of the cost involved for better air flow, and a nice spot for a microwave.

Happytrails
Old 05-27-2002, 04:06 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I ordered mine form the factory with roof air.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 03:10 AM   #6

Happytrails:

I got a Fedders 8000 BTU unit.  It's a window unit (or in my case, a cabinet unit).  I picked it up at Walmart for around $239.   As far as cooling, while I haven't had a chance to really test it (weather hasn't been real warm in Michigan), it should have no problem getting the camper cooled off.  I agree that the position in the cabinet doesn't allow for the best airflow, but the Fedders unit has 2 separate vents, so I can direct 1 towards the front and 1 towards the back.  It certainly is much quieter than the old Whirlpool 5000 BTU unit I had in there.  While I would have loved to put in a ceiling unit, I didn't even consider it due to the cost and the age of the camper.  Hope that helps.

GMallia
Old 05-28-2002, 12:31 PM   #7
Happytrails

Do ya have a model number? I went to the local "Sams" club today......the only thing they had even close to what would fit was only 5,200 btw, which is 300btu short of marginal for a 3023.........Do ya know what the wattage is by any chance? Sure could use the info!

Happytrails
Old 06-06-2002, 01:18 AM   #8

Happytrails:

Here's the specs:

Fedders Model A6Q08F2A  8000 BTU AC

Cooling Area:  340 sq ft
BTU Cooling:     8000
E.E.R                 9.8
Pints/Hour         2.2
Voltage             115
Amps                 7.5
Watts                815
Plug Cap. Amp  125/15
Air Direction      4 Way
Fan Speed:       3
Cabinet width:  20"  
Height:              12 1/2"
Depth:               19 3/8"
Weight:              73 lbs          

Pulled this info from Fedders site

Here's a URL to Walmart.  I believe you could order the unit on-line and have it shipped to you.  Might be worth checking out if you can't find a model you're looking for.

Good Luck!

Gary

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A46319%3A14940
Old 06-06-2002, 10:23 AM   #9
Happytrails

Gmallia,
I purchased an emerson quiet cool 8,000 btu unit used for 45 bucks.....it needs a recharge tho. (the guy will do it for free btw, or exchange it out for one he knows is good). I bought a lawn mower off him for 35 bucks that works great for my work.....lol, tho it only has to mow an area the size of 4 parking spaces.....But I do trust him, he's a pretty good fella. Thanks for posting the specs, very interesting.....mine's 1110 watts, with a 7.2 EER. Just about pushing the limit for my generator. I would really be curious to know how well it cools your trailer tho. I'd really appreciate the followup!
Old 06-07-2002, 01:19 AM   #10

Happytrails:

I'm glad you were able to get a unit.  I'll be happy to post how well it does, but my wife is recovering from hernia surgery at the moment so are next trip isn't scheduled until the weekend of July 12th.  I'll be gone 10 days, so I should be able to test it pretty extensively.

Gary