TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
klv5920

Default Bahia Honda SP, FL

Has anyone been to Florida Keys camping? We are scheduled for Sept at Bahia Honda SP. Main reason for going is fly fishing the flats. Right in the middle of hurricane season but oh well. Only time that was available.
Any info, comments of camping in this area would be appreciated.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Thumbs up Bahia Honda is GRRR888888!

The Park is beautiful and the sites are good sized and well maintained! We will Pray that the weather is good for your stay! It generaly is mild and cooler at night in September so the skeeters should be down! We camped there a few years ago during Lobster season so it was August or September!

Don't you just hate having to wait so long before going, but it is so worth it! LOL.

Holy Smokes look what I just found!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Camped there in a tent in the mid-90s. As I recall, it was a beautiful place, probably the best of any place to camp in the Keys. Bring LOTS of bug repellent.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:30 AM   #4
klv5920

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELM-JLM View Post
The Park is beautiful and the sites are good sized and well maintained! We will Pray that the weather is good for your stay! It generaly is mild and cooler at night in September so the skeeters should be down! We camped there a few years ago during Lobster season so it was August or September!

Don't you just hate having to wait so long before going, but it is so worth it! LOL.

Holy Smokes look what I just found!
Yes, I am ready to go NOW!! Here it is June and have not been able to get anywhere due to schedules, etc. My TM is in my driveway and I go out and sit in it every chance I get, especially when it is raining! (LOVE my TM!!)
Yes, expect it to be buggy. That is what Florida is famous for, right? lol
I had read some reviews about the park on another site and they were a little on the negative side. So, glad to hear good feed back. No matter, going anyway!! And thanks for the prayers for good weather!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
brulaz

We camped at Long Key and Curry Hammock last November but not Bahia Honda.

But we did visit it to get on a snorkeling boat going out to some coral reefs. Really nice reefs with lots of colorful fish, but the day we went it was a bit too choppy for my stomach.

The park seemed nice but very busy. Maybe because it's so close to Key West and has a lot of additional attractions besides camping. Long Key and Curry Hammock were less busy.

The Florida State Parks in the Keys are just wonderful in general. We've got reservations for another 2 weeks this coming November-December.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
klv5920

Wanted to get into Long Key SP but they are closed for construction starting Sept this year.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
brulaz

Long Key was nice in some ways. Our site had lots of privacy and our own beach. But you're very close to the Hwy so there's noise. And there were "no-see-ums" or biting sand flies.

We met some folks there from Florida's Panhandle who suggested we try some of the beaches up there as well. So on our way back to Ontario next spring we hope to do that.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
klv5920

Ah yes, the Panhandle. More places to visit! And also the coast of Alabama. Heard that is beautiful also. I just want to be like a gypsy and go everywhere!! Just not sure I have the money!!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
Dave99gst

That should be a really nice camping experiance..I love the keys..hopefully the smell in ths area isnt bad (people that hav been there b4 know what im talking about)
Dave99gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

Just got back from Bahia Nice. Bring extra hose. The hook ups can be a distance if you want to do the snorkeling boat to the reef reserve the day before. Kayaking is great but pricey. We took our own. A must stop is the sunset grill just before you hit the seven mile bridge. Very tropical place and they have a nice pool deck. You can even get served while in the pool. Curry hammock has more waterfront sites but there is much seaweed to contend with and any shade is at a premium