TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default Carrying a 5-lb propane bottle: mount it to the frame?

We always take a portable propane grill when camping, and I've been playing around with sources of propane. The 1-lb bottles are convenient, but they are expensive, wasteful (tank is only one-use), and I don't particularly like transporting propane inside the TM. I have an adapter to connect the grill to the TM tank....I've used it a few times, but I often don't like to grill 8-feet or less from the TM.

I have a 5-lb portable propane tank that seems to be the perfect solution. Refillable, small enough to be portable (8" in diameter, about 12" tall), and cost effective. But again, I don't really want to regularly transport it inside the TM, or the TV for that matter, because of not only a leak, but also the possibility of it becoming a projectile in the TV.

So I've started exploring ways to mount it to the TM frame. The best method I've come up with is to weld 2 pieces of steel to the tongue, on the underside, such that they will cradle the tank on its side, and cradle it low enough not to interfere with the front slideout. Then I'll use some metal clamp-on straps to hold it in place. That doesn't protect against side-to-side movement though, so I have to think about that more.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
PopBeavers

I have the small propane bottle like you for the same reasons. However, since I tow with a truck I just carry it in the truck bed.

At camp I want to have a portable propane stove near the TM and a propane grill on the picnic table.

So I take one of the two tanks off of the front of the TM to use as my third tank.

Can you do the same? Perhaps your TM only has a single tank.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dave -

Since my wife and I wander around in the Navajo and Zuni nations in Arizona, where gas is hard to come by, I needed a way to carry a gallon or two of extra gasoline on my 2002 TM. There are a couple photos that show how I did it at

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=1378

It won't work on the newer TMs with the new bumper (I think 2004+), but on your 2000, I think it might work. I know that mine is gasoline and you asked about propane, but storage might be the same. Maybe there's a solution there for your question.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Wayne - I have 2 tanks on the TM, and yes, I could remove one to use for the grill. But doing so is a major pain. First, since the slide comes over the tanks, the tank has to be removed with the TM is closed. That means that if it's open, you have to close it first. Second, removing the tank requires a wrench to take off 3 nuts. It's not hard, but not something I want to do on a regular basis, and thus, I wouldn't take it off unless I knew I was going to use the grill (and thus might not take it off automatically before setting up). I want something that's easy on/off.

Bill - I thought about doing some sort of bumper mount as you did for the gas can. Nice job on that, btw. But it's going to get bounced around alot more there than on the tongue, but if it's held down with metal clamps or bolts of some sort (locking wingnut?), maybe that's not a big deal. I had previously dismissed that location, but I'm going to give it more thought, especially since the tank could be removed from that location regardless of whether the TM is open or closed.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Dave
Old 09-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
jumpstreet
Site Sponsor

I don't know if it's still available, but a few years back cabellas sold an adapter that would allow you to refill a 1lb bottle from a 20lb tank. Used it many times with no problem. This was bought as part of a group and when I left the group the adapter stayed with them.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpstreet View Post
I don't know if it's still available, but a few years back cabellas sold an adapter that would allow you to refill a 1lb bottle from a 20lb tank. Used it many times with no problem.
Are you referring to this?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...&cm_ite=netcon

I've considered that. I've never even seen one used, but my guess is there is no pressure regulator in it. That means the small tank fills as long as you have the large tank open. My guess is that makes it easy to overfill the tanks, which could cause them to seep, particularly in warmer weather. That's also probably why the US DOT prohibits transporting refilled disposables (according to the Cabelas website).

On the other hand, how did everyone manage to not kill themselves before the OPD valves? Were they usually filled more than they are today with the valves installed?

I did find this:
http://www.safaritrailers.com/index....rint&pageid=15

That would be easy to mount to the rear bumper.

Dave
Old 09-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
PopBeavers

I see you have the SL. I have the standard 2720. One wing nut and a tank comes off for me. With the shells open. I see your problem.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dave -

If you already have the adapter you mentioned in your first post, it is easy and quite inexpensive to get an extension hose in any length you choose. If you can't find one on-line or at an RV place, just go to a bulk propane dealer. Most of them will make this up for you on the spot.

Wayne -

The "one wing nut" approach is something relatively new, and appears on all trailers, I think. Certainly I have it on my 2006, and obviously you have it on your '05. But my old '02 didn't have it. The old "three nuts" approach was a real pain, and I greeted the new hold-down with great enthusiasm. Having to slide in the slider (you don't actually have to close the TM) to get a tank out is still a pain, but one I can live with.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #9
jumpstreet
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Are you referring to this?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...&cm_ite=netcon

I've considered that. I've never even seen one used, but my guess is there is no pressure regulator in it. That means the small tank fills as long as you have the large tank open. My guess is that makes it easy to overfill the tanks, which could cause them to seep, particularly in warmer weather. That's also probably why the US DOT prohibits transporting refilled disposables (according to the Cabelas website).

On the other hand, how did everyone manage to not kill themselves before the OPD valves? Were they usually filled more than they are today with the valves installed?

I did find this:
http://www.safaritrailers.com/index....rint&pageid=15

That would be easy to mount to the rear bumper.

Dave
This is it. I have used it many times and am still here to tell the story. With a full 20lb tank you hook it it up, turn the 20lb tank upside down and open the valve for what ever the time limit was, I don't remember, then close it. Never had a leakage problem. I have no knowledge of DOT stopping POV's to inspect 1lb propane bottles to try and determine if they have been refilled or not.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I had resigned myself to using the 1-pound disposable cylinders since I could not find a good spot to mount the refillable 5-pound cylinder on the TM. We were out last weekend, and after I removed a 1-pounder from my portable grill, gas started leaking out the cylinder. Apparently, whatever self-closing valve is in the cylinder that releases when you unscrew the tank didn't close. It eventually closed after about 10 minutes, or at least I think it did, but not before most of the gas leaked out.

So I am going to stop using the 1-pounders while traveling from here on out, and just pack the 5-pounder in the car. The 5-pound has a manual valve, and while not foolproof (I've had a valve leak on the TM tank), I feel it's much more reliable than the disposables. AND, it's cheaper and I don't contribute needless waste to the landfill.

FWIW.

Dave