TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
rothko1

Robert,
with the 2720sl do you feel that there is enough bed space for you and the boys? I love the layout but fear that the couch bed will be good for a very short period of time.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #12
robertkennel

Your right. I plan on making an extension to the bed so the long end of the bed extends toward the kitchen. Adding a support to the existing bed that is flush and then add an air mattress on top. It's really nice having even that small living room with the kids. The trailer is really working out well for us.

Or maybe one on the couch and one on the floor.

We go on weekend trips also and you really need the extra room for food and clothes. Remember the name it's a mini and not just in title. It's got to be comfortable or the team leader in the family won't be happy. Good luck Robert

But on the the other hand if you pack light and can handle small spaces it might work for you. It's just making the wrong decision for you could cost money and time trying to change again trailers. Take your time and think about it.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
rothko1

Hey thanks, the feedback helps. While I love the compact dimensions of the mini for towing/storage purposes, the more I look at it the more I think it will be too cozy. The little one is quite the bundle of energy and would have very little space to roam. If It were just me I'd probably go for it.
Been looking hard at the 27's sl and sd. I like the extra space in both, but think the SD is the version that will work best for us. Agreed completely on the $- last thing I want is buyers remorse on such a pricey unit. the 27's seem like they provide adequate room for now and the near future, while still being short enough to store in the garage.

Thanks much,
Jim
Old 02-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #14
robertkennel

With the SK model you won't have to worry about sleeping arrangements in the future like me and you don't have to pull out the couch into a bed every night. Plus the kids can play on top of the bed when in the trailer. You will be supprised just how fast you fill up that trailer even for a weekend. The one foot storage under the queen bed in the rear is very helpful too. Let us know what you get. It took us 6-8 months before we got ours. See ya Robert

We saved about 10,000 dollars buying ours at one year old.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
rothko1

I'm looking at a 2009 2720SD holdover, great price- way cheaper than a 2010. Should also save around 10K- for a brand new unit. It has the basics just waiting to to see if we can finalize the deal. I still can't get over how light they are..there are pop ups that weigh more dry and don't have the privacy.
Will keep you updated!
J
Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #16
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Before you buy, I'd visit all 3 models in person to see what would work best for you, and take the kids. Lounge around inside to see what it will be like when you're done with your camping day and just want to chill (and get them to chill so you can get them to sleep ).

Personally, I think the 2720 "regular model" (with the higher, permanent beds on each end) is best for a family. For now, both kids could sleep in the rear queen while you relax in the front after they go to sleep. You will be comfortable in the front full bed because it's longer than the couch bed or the dinette bed in the other models (unless you're not that tall, DH is 6'3" so it makes a difference for him). You won't even have to put down the dinette if they are willing to sleep together in the rear bed.

The 2720 SL and the 2720 SD (I've been in both) only have two beds. Our kids used to share a bed when they were little, but it didn't last long.

At night, before bed, what we used to end up doing was: Kid 1 took up a space sprawled out on one side of the dinette, kid 2 did so on the other side of the dinette. If I wanted to sit down somewhere, they'd have to sit up or crawl up to the bed at the front (or I did). DH usually sat in a fold-up chair in front of the door. We could all see the TV/DVD player from there. As soon as I could get them away from the dinette table, I'd put the table down and turn it into a bed.

But, if you're not thinking long-term (as in having teenagers staying with you) a different model might work. Before I knew it, after we bought our TM, I was the shortest person in the family. It's amazing how fast they grow.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #17
PopBeavers

Don't overlook that after about age 10 or so they would be quite comfortable in their own small tent for sleeping, except in grizzly country.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #18
rothko1

OK sealed the deal on the 2009 2720 SD, should have it tomorrow!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #19
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Well, congratulations! Let us know when you get it home! You'll have lots of fun camping trips, the kids will love it!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:23 AM   #20
robertkennel

Happy days Jim. The kids will love it. I was just thinking of you this weedend when we went camping because we were at the limits when it came to space. I'm sure you will be very happy you went with the bigger one.

After you give the trailer a wash check for any leaks. A couple of tubes of caulk takes care of any water issues. Better to find them now before camping when it rains. Mine had one leak then I caulked all the seams and I mean all. I feel secure now.

Just make sure the kids are gentle with the trailer and you'll be fine. How to open the drapes without damage, don't jump on the bed until the pin is in, and don't slam the door all come to mind.

Tell us about the first trip. I took the advice of the forum and camped in front of the house first. The kids loved it even in front of the house.

I purchased a water filter that attaches to the kitchen faucet and that has worked well, but you have to remove it when closing because it sticks up beyond the faucet. I like to filter at the end of line rather than at the supply. Oh and don't forget to turn off the hot water heater (electrically or gas) when folding up(luckily there was still water in the tank). I forgot once but nothing bad came of it. Of course following the checklist would have prevented that. I don't use a checklist much now but I do keep in mind never to force anything, there's always a reason if things don't go gently together. Good luck Robert