TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2003, 04:57 PM   #1
Wrench

Default Yosemite Trip

Well we returned from our Yosemite trip with a lot more TM experience than we left with. We experienced a lot of rain and as advertised, we didn't get a drop inside during set-up, or while living in the trailer. The 3023 towed like a dream behind my Caravan. I could have used a bit more power on the big hills, but we weren't holding anybody up. The trailer was very stable and obediently followed without making itself known much.  

Something always breaks of course. The unit constantly popped off the corner hold down latches (from the hooks). One or more had popped off at almost every stop on the way there. In Oakhurst, I discovered one of the J hooks was gone. The screws had pulled out of the aluminum skin. A stop at the local hardware store solved that problem. I tightened the other latches and that solved the problem of them popping off so much. I'll be ordering new rubber rests (the ones mounted on the frame that the shell ends rests on), as these seem pretty squished. I'm determined to find a more secure latch assembly for the corners of the unit too, as this seems to be a weakness of design.

The next problem was totally my fault. After cleaning dishes the first night, I found a puddle of water inside the cabinet beneath the sink. You see, I had dutifully replaced the water heater anode rod before the trip, and had to unfasten a couple of the sink drain couplers in order to flex them enough to get at the anode rod. I was sure I had tightened the couplings when through, and checked them again. They were tight. As I mopped up the puddle, I discovered the rubber ring gasket sitting there. It was supposed to be in the coupler! There was no more leak once I replaced the gasket.

The second problem is that the bathroom exhaust fan wouldn't start. I removed the vent grille on the side of the tub and found the floor mounted muffin fan. I spun it and it started. Turn it off though, and it wouldn't restart. Bad bearings... Radio Shack wants $19 for a similar fan, so I'm ordering one for $6 from one of my favorite surplus suppliers (Marlin P. Jones & Assoc.).

I'd bought a new AGM battery before the trip and rigged it up to charge from the van when we drove around during the day, and lashed it up to the TM at night to supplement the TM's battery. We have a 12V TV and a 350 Watt inverter and brought a VCR along. We were able to watch movies at night for the week.

We took along one of our Aladdin kerosene mantle lamps, which was a great supplement. These things put out the light of a 60W bulb, and as a bonus you get 6,000 BTU of heat output. This was enough to keep the heater from cycling.We turned the lamp off at bedtime of course, for safety.

What a great asset this forum has been. Thanks to all of you that contribute!
By the way, Yosemite was beautiful.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:16 PM   #2

Default Re: Yosemite Trip

A tip for your four corner latches.  I found at Walmart a package of four small Master locks, that I use for travel and storage.  They come with two keys that fit all four locks.  They won't allow your latches to open.

My family and I heading for Yellowstone this summer.  I hope our trip is as successful as your Yosemite trip.

Good luck and happy travels.  
Old 04-27-2003, 04:41 PM   #3
Wrench

Thanks for the tip Pat, but the problem is that the latch hook jumps off the J-hook on the shell. The latch is still "latched" to itself, but the hooks aren't engaged with one another.
Regards,
Eric
Old 04-28-2003, 01:23 AM   #4
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for the tip Pat, but the problem is that the latch hook jumps off the J-hook on the shell. The latch is still "latched" to itself, but the hooks aren't engaged with one another.
Regards,
Eric
Eric,

I had that happen one time as well. I just gave the latch one more turn and it hasn't happened again since. I figured that I must not have had the top "compressed" enough and that would be the only way that they could pop off. I also use the small master locks on the latches, and find that I am more concerned about them scratching the trailer sides than anything else.

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:57 AM   #5

Eric,

I use the small master locks, they are only about 1" X 1" and they don't  touch the trailer at all.

Good luck,
Pat
Old 04-29-2003, 01:20 AM   #6
arknoah

Generally, when we're traveling, I put a hitch pin in the holes in the latches on the four corners.  It's really simple ande we've never had one of them come open while traveling.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:19 AM   #7
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Generally, when we're traveling, I put a hitch pin in the holes in the latches on the four corners. It's really simple ande we've never had one of them come open while traveling.

What a splendid idea!! Thanks so much F.J. !! This will work perfectly for my trip. I hadn't thought about using hitch pins before, do you use the clevis pin, or just the clip?  I would think that either would work.

What a great site!

Larry

Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 05:13 AM   #8
arknoah

Just the regular clip, so it's really nothing fancy at all, but it seems to do the trick.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:24 AM   #9
efelker

Larry:

We lived in the CA Central Valley & went to Yosemite quite often (never camped or pulled a trailer).  As I recall the road in from the Western side was quite hilly, narrow, and had several cutbacks.  Is that the way you entered the park, and if so, how did your rig handle on those roads?
Old 05-13-2003, 02:46 PM   #10
Wrench

We live in Grass Valley. Because of iminent rain and snow, I chickened out and the day before we left for Yosemite, I cancelled our first night at Upper Pines in Yosemite. We stayed instead at a campground in Oakhurst. The next day we went in the southern entrance (41). The road to Mariposa Grove was still closed due to the snow. When we left for home we took 120 to Manteca, which was hilly and twisty, but we did just fine. Our 3.8L AWD Grand Caravan pulled it fine., There were times when we were punched holding 45 up hills, but we weren't holding up traffic. As far as braking and handling, we did fine too.