TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
78crewcabjohn

Default How to carry motorcycle??

Is there any good way to carry a motorcycle on a trailmanor? I have an old on/off road bike that weights 280lbs. I tow with an suv now so I have no bed to haul like I used to do in my pickup truck. I have old bumper racks that were used 35 years ago to haul another bike. I had thought about welding these to the back bumper on my trailer. This may be too much weight!!! Any input of your experiences would be great. Thanks JOHN
Old 04-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
PopBeavers

I have the factory installed rear receiver. It is clearly labeled as 100 pounds max.

I have a similar problem. Though I have a 6.5 foot bed, I want to carry a Yamaha dual sport motorcycle and a 4wd ATV for DW. It doesn't look like I can get them both in the bed of the truck unless I downsize DW's ATV to 2wd. An alternative for me is to load them on top of the bed, as they do make racks for ATV's, but that seems awfully high to suit me.

I have considered putting the motorcycle on the front, via a front hitch receiver, but it looks like blocking the headlights and obstructing the driver's view would be an issue.

No wonder toy haulers are so popular.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:44 PM   #3
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

We spent a couple of weeks in Feb near Grover Beach, Calif which has beach/dune public use areas for ORV/ATVs. People arrived using all manner of carrying schemes so you might look for ideas there if you have a chance. I walked over to the parking lot to look at one truck that had two large 4-wheelers standing upright on their rear wheels in the bed. The PU's nose was raised of course and it looked like the rear axle was down on the stops. No one was around or I would have hung around to see how they got the 4-wheelers out.

As an aside, I don't think the standard scheme of measuring wheel wells and dropping front and back equally would work with that rig if they wanted to add a trailer and WDH. Plenty of trucks came in while we were there however that were both towing and hauling huge loads. Toy-haulers dominated as you would expect but there were a number of different combinations. Sorry but I didn't get pictures.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
78crewcabjohn

Thanks for the idea.....I'll have to see if my bumper loops for the cycle wheels will work on the suv bumper and still hook up the hitch. Maybe on the front would be better. I hate to block air flow to the radiator in the front. JOHN
Old 10-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
rhmiddl

Default Swivel wheel trailer

A swivel wheel trailer may be a good idea. I've thought of building one myself. This trailer allows back up of a triple tow without jackknifing. Almost all of the weight could be placed on the wheels and little on the tongue. There is debate as to whether this would be considered a trailer or a part of the camper itself. These can be bought ready made or you can build your own. You can read more about it at:

http://www.doublehitch.com/
Old 12-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
larsdennert

Hanging a motorcycle on the back bumper of a TM is a recipe for disaster IMO. 100lb of bicycles already sways plenty. 3 to 4 times that would be harrowing. Front bumper if the TV can handle the weight.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Scott O

Can't think of a single way which is even remotely possible. The only possibility would be in the bed of a truck...
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
PopBeavers

I have considered a hitch receiver for the front of the truck, but I think the motorcycle (WR250R) will block the headlights.

I am also considering a hitch like this:

http://www.torklift.com/p.php?w_page=superhitch

But I am not sure how far back I want to push the TM.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
RogerR

Is your truck bed high enough that you could just open the back tail gate and let the atv hang out there? Another solution is to move up to a bigger truck.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
wmtire

I have been looking at the receiver hitch carriers for my Kawasaki dual-sport. I studied the Versa-haul one below, which would also allow you to hook a trailer to it. The literature for it says it can only pull 3,000 lbs.

http://www.versahaul.com/vh55ro.php

I believe you would need a minimum of a class IV receiver (which I do have) on your tow vehicle or one like PopBeavers posted, to even safely consider the combination weight of the bike and the Tmanor's tongue hooked up to it, if anyone went with a rear type receiver like this because of the downsides of having a front mounted one.

They may build other receiver type hitches that have more towing capacity that you could check into.

In the end, I just decided it wasn't worth the risk of possibly losing my bike and/or trailer, if it broke. Bought a pair of aluminum ramps instead, and just load the bike in the bed of the truck.

Hey PopBeavers, we got to meet up some time and ride/camp together, now that I know you also have a dual-sport.