TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
ChillEDog

Default Does charging the battery make a sound ?

We keep our TM in the carport, covered. Plugged in the power today to charge for our Thanksgiving trip, pretty sure I heard a hum or fan-like sound. (Hard to say exactly, due to ambient outside noise.) I know there is a refrigerator fan, I'm wondering if that is what I'm hearing ? Or does the battery make a sound when its charging ?

Thank you.
ChillEDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
MisterP

If the trailer was closed, you probably heard the refrigerator fan. If you left it on after your last trip, your battery is also completely discharged, because the fan runs off the 12 volt system. If so, you will have shortened the life of your battery. If you are using a wet cell battery, I would check the battery fluid levels as you charge it. You will be putting a lot of power through it to recharge it.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Or you might have heard the fan in the converter/charger. Can you pin down the location of the source?

There is also a bathroom exhaust fan, which you might have left on.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
ChillEDog

I will try to locate source in the morning. Now that you mention it, bathroom exhaust rings a bell. As in, I think I recall turning that on last trip. But thought I turned it off... I guess I'll find out when we open the trailer. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
ChillEDog

So I am just now getting back to this and have a new question or two.

We are departing tomorrow morning for camping over the weekend.

I have plugged/unplugged the TM to shore power several times. I heard the sound at first, but no longer.

I am researching the battery, something I know nothing, make that less than nothing, about. I just got the cover off, it is a NAPA 8420 N, I am about to google maintenance for this battery.

Anyway - I suspect it may be dead, it has been sitting in carport since our last camping trip 6+ months ago. I may just run to Walmart and get a new battery. My question is, if it is dead, and I don't replace it, can I still drive the 60 miles to our campground, plug into shore power for the weekend, and drive back ? Or will the battery be an issue.

Thank you.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
FujiPedaler

The battery is a "BIG" issue for safety because it is what powers your TM breaks. Your TM breaks are electric and if it separates from your Tow Vehicle(TV) then you have nothing to stop the trailer.
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
ChillEDog

Of course. Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know.

So I bought an EverStart 24DC from Walmart tonight. But, being the optimist, I filled the old battery with distilled water (took 1/4 gallon if not more) and hooked the TM to shore power. I think it is charging, because there is an exterior light which would not turn on previously which turns on now after an hour of charging. (When I bought the TM I noticed this light turned on while the other exterior lights would not. Before refilling battery, it would not turn on, even when connected to shore power. Hence my conclusion the battery must be charging.)

The old battery, NAPA 8420N, looks to be in good shape, clean, no corrosion.

I guess the question is how do I tell in the morning whether the battery is properly charged.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #8
MisterP

If you had to add 1/4 gallon of water to the battery, it is already damaged and will never hold a proper charge again. I would recommend replacing it before your trip. Buy an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery, marine deep cycle, and you won't have to worry about checking the fluid level again. They are sealed, drip proof and can take low voltages better than a wet battery. It's all I will use.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #9
clown9644

You can't leave the battery connected and just park it for that long a time. You have many components in the TM that will discharge the battery and ruin it while just sitting still. I always remove the ground wire that goes from the battery to the frame and then put a big red flag there to remind me to put it back on before I move the TM. I also, connect it the day before I am leaving to shore power to make sure it is fully charged.
Dave

ps: Happy Thanksgiving to all that are celebrating today.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
wahoonc

I second the idea of the AGM batteries. They are a bit pricey but work very well in an RV setting. The other thing I have on all of my RV's as well as several occasional use vehicles is a battery disconnect switch. I typically use the marine style with the key lock as added security.

Aaron