TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #1
jipfoley

Default Need roof repair in California

Hi. I've had my '01 on the market since the fall. It was pristine but last week we had a tree blow over, took out the carport canopy and the tow vehicle next to it. But alas, the roof was punctured and the fan destroyed. The skin of the roof on the other half was torn, but FORTUNATELY, the ceiling was not punctured. We've erected it with no problems.

So I am looking for a shop (or handy TM enthusiast) in NorCal that could patch the roof, replace the fan and window (hoping I can find these parts) and patch the skin on the other side.

I have had numerous inquiries on this but given the season, they postponed visiting. Of course, I started hearing from them 2 days after the windstorm.

Jeannette
jipfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 PM   #2
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Jeannette, can you post some pictures of the damage? That will enable better feedback and ideas for you.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There is a prime TM dealer in California, but unfortunately they are quite a hike from you - Ontario, probably 7 hours away.

Like Kidkraz, I'm not real clear on how a window was destroyed if only the roof was damaged. Pictures will help. Assuming that the damage is limited to the fan, a window, and some poke-holes in the skin of the roof, it can be handled by any reputable RV service place. No need for a TM dealer.

The big deal as far as cost is concerned will be the window. Is the window [U]frame[U] damaged, or is a broken panel of glass the only problem? Some of the glass panes in the window can be replaced - others, not so much. My experience with replacing a broken window is detailed in several posts in this thread.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=18610

The manufacturer of the window is Hehr, and they make literally hundreds of different windows. To find out which one you need, you (or your service guy) must remove the inside part of the frame, which will expose a paper label identifying the specific window. Then you call the Hehr distributor, Pelland (not Hehr itself), who can perhaps get the right window for you. The problem you may encounter is that Hehr may no longer make your window in white. You may have to buy a black window, and paint it white. Not a big deal, but another element of cost. My experience is that the TM factory no longer has any white windows in stock - they use only black.

Good luck - and I hope your insurance is up to date. (Your homeowner's may cover it.)

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:41 AM   #4
jipfoley

Default Trailmanor damage - photos

Sorry for the late reply. I've been chopping logs, and dealing with insurance claims on top of the other responsibilities of life.

Here are photos of the damage. I'm not concerned about the superficial dents so not including those photos, but the full puncture is serious and the 2nd hole in the outer skin (about 4") needs to be repaired. There's a dent on the corner of the frame too. Not sure if it's any more than superficial. I had the trailer insured with USAA auto but the company has claimed it a total loss so they are washing their hands of any help.

Trailmanor LLC So Dak has assured me they'll help to get parts and give any needed guidance to a repair facility, especially if I choose not to take this down to Custom RV in Ontario.

Believe it or not, I've actually got a buyer waiting for the repairs to be completed. And a couple others finally followed up on my ad the week after the accident. Hoping to repair and sell still.

Jeannette
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_142812_resized.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	17867   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190119_152713_resized.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	540.3 KB
ID:	17868   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190119_153850_resized.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	594.3 KB
ID:	17869   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_142820_resized.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	17870   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190109_080830_resized.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	17871  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190109_080907_resized.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	917.0 KB
ID:	17872   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190109_080832_resized.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	821.9 KB
ID:	17873  
jipfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jeannette -

I don't think your situation is as bad as I originally thought. I expected the insurance company to total the trailer, so the payoff will help with the repairs, even if it doesn't totally cover them. I'm assuming that you checked your homeowner's insurance as well as your TM insurance? The sad part is that California will probably require you to carry a "branded title", also called a Salvage Title. This will decrease the market value of the trailer, even if you repair it to like-new condition. Some states don't do this, but I think that California is one of the bad guys.

The fan and its cover are an easy replacement, as this is a common item on many brands of trailers. You can buy one at any RV dealer, or online. Check Amazon (of course), or RV parts places like etrailer.com, pplmotorhomes.com, dyersonline.com, or any other RV parts place that comes to mind. I'm assuming that the fan cover is the "window" you referred to in your original post?

The roof repairs should be reasonably easy (which is not the same thing as inexpensive) because the damage is in the flat area. The repair will simply be to cut out the damaged area and rivet on flat pieces of aluminum sheet as patches, one inside and one outside. You will put a slab of foam between them, and seal the outside piece (at least) to make it waterproof. The patch will show on the outside, but who cares? For the inside, look for a post from Commodor47 on this forum, whose wife, an accomplished artist, developed the formula for an exact paint match for the interior color.

The big item - and it is not huge - will be the crushed corner. When your repair guy removes the trim to open up that corner, he will find the frames of the front wall, the side wall, and the roof (the frame pieces will most likely be wood, but possibly aluminum) along with whatever is used to join them together at the corner. The joinery is not elaborate, but he will need to open up the area enough to cut out the bent/broken pieces and insert repair pieces to make a sturdy repair. Again, aluminum sheet patches may need if he can't flatten the existing pieces sufficiently.

Again, none of these repairs requires TM-specific knowledge or skills, although some advice from the factory will probably be helpful. Any competent RV repair place will be able to handle them.

Good luck - and let us know about progress. Meanwhile, cover the damaged areas to keep water out of them. I'm sure some water got in during the storm, and part of the repair will have to be to dry the inside of the walls and ceiling. Water inside the structure is a big problem, especially if the structure is wood, rather than aluminum.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Any repair must maintain the curvature of the roof. And that might already be hidden damage from the impact. Tell the repair folks that the roof will not support their weight without the bend coming out. The structural materials under there are quarter inch Luan plywood and foam. These roofs do tend to flatten out, and the leak problem becomes much worse when they do because water pools instead of running off of the roof. You don't want to see what I had to do to restore the curvature in a flattened roof.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #7
Texastrailerguy

Default hole in roof

I am with Bill on the hole in the roof. Have a 2720 with a hole the size of my fist thru both inside and outside roof. Fixed with flat panels and a product called "Thru the roof". It is a clear product and I have worked with this on my tin roof on my house. Very good stuff. The corner I do not have experience with.
Texastrailerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, repair, roof