TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
klv5920

Default Safety in camping

My biggest concern with boondocking is personal safety. There are remote areas everywhere but more remote the further west you travel.
And I mean safety from two legged critters who are motivated to hurting others.
I am not being paranoid, just cautious.
How do you all feel safe enough at night to sleep in very remote areas.

Karen
Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

For the record I am not paranoid but just cautious also. I think it may have come from bring in the Boy Scouts but there is nothing I hate more than have a situation come up that I am not prepared for. Long story short after a lot of thought and consideration I purchased a hand gun to keep in my home and now take it with me when we camp.

This is not something anyone should do without a lot of thought. I hunted all my life and know about gun safety and proper storage. I figure the chance of ever needing it is a million to one and using it would be a last resort. For me though if I ever found myself in a situation where great harm came to my wife or myself and didn’t have it I could never forgive myself.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I too have camped since I was a kid, also with Boy Scouts, and have never experienced a situation where I felt my safety was in danger. I realize it only takes once...... Certainly, the first remedy I would consider in such a situation would be to simply leave. Of course, I realize that may not be an option, and I too have given this thought as I have gotten older, especially as we camp in some areas where there is no one in sight. If our camping were primarily limited to state or RV parks, I don't think I would likely consider it necessary.

I've been around guns all my life, and even have some long arms. I do not have a handgun though, but have considered it. I agree with Roger, this is not a decision to be taken lightly. Any weapon in the hands of someone untrained can do more harm than good. Without a doubt, when you present a weapon you escalate the situation, and one potential outcome is that it gets out of your control and backfire. Now you possibly have just armed a previously unarmed perpetrator. I think that's probably the biggest danger.

If I do someday decide to take a handgun camping, I will certainly be taking some sort of self defense class to learn not only how to use it safely and properly, but also how to avoid losing possession of the weapon during a confrontation. But I haven't gotten to that point yet.

You may also want to read this thread:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7693

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We always look the area over first. There will be signs if its a place you don't want to be. If it looks like a party place it probably is. In 2010 we bypassed only one campground because we didn't think it was safe. Along the Tx,Az, Nv, and Ca border with Mexico is probably some place you don't want to boon dock. We had planned on going to Organ Pipe NM this year but traveling with armed guards in Kevlar isn't my idea of fun.

If you see things like propane bottles, red devil lye and insulating materials you have most likely come across a meth lab leave immediately. If there is gang graffiti all around not a good place to be. Most back country dispersed sites are most likely safer then a developed campground full of weekend drunks. Others have addressed weapons, no need for me to repeat them.

We have been camping since 1971 and the only incidents we've had in remote sites are noise.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
T and C
TrailManor Master

A few thoughts on having a firearm with you:

1. First of all, make sure you know how to safely store and use the thing. Television and movies regularly depict people doing absolutely stupid and/or unrealistic things with guns.

2. Make sure that you understand the laws on carrying/transporting firearms in your own state and in any state you plan to enter! Things that are perfectly legal in one state can be a felony level crime in a neighboring one.

3. In general, handguns are far more regulated than long guns, (rifles and shotguns).

4. It is generally held by "authorities" on the subject that one can only use a handgun effectively in an emergency situation if one has practiced regularly.

5. The main positive effect of having a firearm with you is the sense of safety that comes from knowing that you could use it in an extreme situation.

6. One should never never even display a firearm unless there is a credible threat to life. You don't want to have to live with having killed or maimed someone to prevent the theft a generator or lantern.

7. You can get into big trouble for just discharging a firearm in many places. The other day I read on the internet of a fellow who caught a burglar exiting his house. He shouted at the guy to freeze and fired a handgun into the ground to show him that he meant business. He held the burglar until the police arrived to arrest him. He was then arrested on a felony charge for firing his gun into the ground. He could get as much time as the burglar! Firearm law is mind-boggling in this country.

8. The wisest and best solution to the two legged varmint problem is to camp in safe places like campgrounds, or in groups large enough to deter aggressive criminals. These cockroaches like the dark and they prey on folks who are isolated.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Seems they are charging him on a catch-all law which they could have used if he was swinging a golf club at the burglar --
Quote:
is scheduled to be arraigned March 20 on a charge of reckless conduct
I suspect that the charges will be dropped.

If interested, More on it here:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/21...-near-burglar/

Tim
Old 02-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
Pitbull

I have two body guards, Mr. Colby (my Pitbull) and Mr. Glock (I'm permitted to bring him with me in 32 states)!

Koz
Old 02-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
ED-n-KEL

We primarily stay at State Parks so we've never had any issues that would require any protection, but can absolutely agree that when boon-docking it would definitely be an issue.

As a teenager, my friends and I were camping and were jumped in the middle of the night by older boys. It wasn't a life threatening situation, merely older boys being idiots. I think the worse injury was a black eye, etc, but it certainly proves that the concerns are real.

I too have own guns most of my life, belonging to gun clubs, shot competitively, and even did all my own reloading. If you are considering purchasing a gun for protection do so SERIOUSLY. What I mean is if you do the deed of actually bringing into your house, do EVERYTHING else that goes along with the responsibility. Storage, security, etc, are all important issues, but I've always felt that the MOST IMPORTANT issue is for everyone involve is to know your way around a gun. If DW will be expected to pick it up to protect you or the family, she needs to be very comfortable in doing so. She can't pick it up like a pair of dirty socks and be petrified of it. To get around this, anyone expected to handle the gun should invest time at a range. Everyone should know how to operate the gun, how to load it, how to make sure it's on safety, and how to take if OFF of safety to use it. They need to be comfortable with it in their hands. Don't own it, if you are scared of it!!

In regards to ammo... most people run out and buy the most powerful round they can get, thinking it will stop the intruder in his tracks. My advice is to buy a weaker round to prevent the bullet from going way beyond it's intended target. Believe me, if you hit the bad guy with any type of bullet, you will have his attention. It doesn't have to cut through him like butter and continue on. Any kind of automatic will require a full metal jacket bullet, which will be relatively powerful store bought. A revolver can shoot any kind of round which is why I prefer them.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Scottie Dogs

I have never been a gun owner and will never be, just one more headache to deal with in life, they really scare me. We always stay at Koa’s & and the Good Sam Park’s or places that cater to snowbirds, or places that are highly recommended by fellow campers.

I like full hookups and a nice lodge with laundry, and a Sunday breakfast that some places have and my wife can do sewing and meet other woman with the same interest. Between Koa & Good Sam there probably close to a thousand places across the USA to be safe with no problems.

Dave
Old 02-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
PopBeavers

I go backpacking The first time I took my daughter and son they were 8 and 5. I have been to the top of Half Dome 3 times, the top of Mt. Whitney once.

I do not carry any weapon.

I have never been concerned about safety from animals.

In the TM I can not go as deep into the woods. I am always near a road, even if it is a dirt road. Though the TM provides improved safety with regards to animals, it does nothing to protect you from an armed robber.

I have never been closer than 30 feet to momma bear and her two cubs.

I have never been closer than 5 feet from a heard of deer, as they walked through around camp while we were in backpacking tents.

I have never been closer than 10 feet to wild pigs.

I have never been closer than 100 feet to a moos.

I have never been closer than 50 feet to an elk.

I have never been closer than 6 inches to a rattle snake.